Friday, March 03, 2017

God-Affirmers Raise the Roof!

Image from wearies.wheatfield.org

Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be - you get a fresh start, your slate's wiped clean. Count yourself lucky - God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him. When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up. Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God." Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared. These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched. God's my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck.  Let me give you some good advice; I'm looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight: "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule that needs bit and bridle to stay on track." God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around. Celebrate God. Sing together - everyone! All you honest hearts, raise the roof! (Psalm 32)

What do you do when you win something?  Do you jump up and down in the air, hollering?  This has been quite the season for such celebrations.  Think back to the World Series and those who follow the Cubs; did they not celebrate?  And as far as I know, they're still whooping and hollering.  Think back a few nights to the Academy Awards and the very last presentation; sadly, one group stood up to celebrate, only to be told, "No, we had the wrong envelope!"  Awkward.  Then when the right winner was announced, they started their celebration.  Part of these celebrations mentioned include a message put on almost everything. The Cubs immediately release their caps with the words WORLD CHAMPIONS!  You could also buy the t-shirt, the official uniform shirt, etc.  The movies that won now have the posters and tv announcement:  WINNER OF BEST PICTURE..., etc.  What do you do when you realized your sins have been truly taken away?  Do you whoop and holler and jump up and down?  Well, very few do.  This version of the psalm really celebrates that which happens when God removes the stains of disobedience from our hearts.  The more traditional verses that begin this psalm read:  "Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.  Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit."  But I love the words, "happy, fresh start, and slate's wiped clean."  That is the journey of Lent and the Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday all rolled into one.  All that was held against us, and in fact, holding us back from true service - gone!  Nothing should hold us back, we should all be now "God-affirmers," who "find themselves loved every time they turn around."  Who indeed celebrate God, who sing together, and who "raise the roof!"

You can find caps with words to the effect:  Forgiven or Set Free, but the greatest way to share the message of God is to live a life that says, "I am free from my sin.  I am loved by God.  I can't hold back my joy and rejoicing.  You might even find a church of like-minded people or see one on tv or the internet where their joy truly does raise the roof.

What are you waiting for?

PRAYER:  Loving God, fill me with Your joy as I know You have forgiven my sins.  Help me live a life that truly raises the roof as I celebrate You and Your love for me.  Help me find those whose sins are still weighing them down so that I may share the joy with them.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REPORT AND JOY:  The Rev. John Cochran is now home, after having a surgical procedure to remove his gall bladder.  He is still sore from this and asks our prayers for him.  Thank you all for praying!  God is good!