Thursday, March 23, 2017

What More Could I Need?

Image from faithgateway.com

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. (Psalm 23 King James Version)

I still find it interesting to be in a large department store or at least a store with a toy department in it, for the drama that occurs there daily is something to be observed.  It involves both boys and girls.  A stroll through the toy aisles will reveal something that a child will want.  The child will bring this want to the attention of one or both parents and the child will say, "Mom/Dad, I want this!"  After all, the fulfillment of life's call and purpose is found in the item the child has at long last found for him or herself.  And the typical response of a parent is no.  Grandparents, you know that word is not found in our vocabulary, no matter how hard we try or act like we won't get our grandchild that which they want.  The response of the parent triggers a wail that fills the store.  "But I need this!"  And the child will begin a slow, dazed, shocked walk with the wail on, clutching or dragging the needed toy with them.

We get like that somethings and we too, sometimes confuse want with need.  Most of us have many wants, perhaps even possess a list of wants; but if we're honest with God and ourselves, we have all we need to get by.  David knew that and he knew why.  In God he had found a savior and a provider.  Thinking back to his days in the pasture, he remembered the virtues of a good shepherd, and he lists those in this psalm, attributing them to what God provides to us as our Good Shepherd. 

Dear friend, you and I have found all we need in God; and isn't it wonderful?  Nothing that we could possibly need to have joy and peace in this life has been denied us.  Yes, we might have challenges come our way, but we find in God that which blesses us, and keeps us moving ever forward and ever upward.  David says, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life."  And they do.  And in the shelter and protection of that grace, I have found God's house and I plan on staying in it.

So come on life, bring it on!  We're ready, we're blessed, and protected.  And best of all, we're loved!

To God be the glory!

PRAYER:  Loving Father, our Good Shepherd, thank You for all You provide.  Guide me to what I need next, be it rest, be it nourishment, be it a refreshing of my soul, or guiding me to what's next in my life, even walking the scary places of this life, Thank You for being with me.  I have enough.  Yours is the glory.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde