Thursday, March 16, 2017

Raise the Roof for the Rock Who Saved Us!

Image from kingjamesbible.org

Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us! Let's march into his presence singing praises, lifting the rafters with our hymns! And why? Because God is the best, High King over all the gods. In one hand he holds deep caves and caverns, in the other hand grasps the high mountains. He made Ocean - he owns it! His hands sculpted Earth! So come, let us worship: bow before him, on your knees before God, who made us! Oh yes, he's our God, and we're the people he pastures, the flock he feeds. Drop everything and listen, listen as he speaks: "Don't turn a deaf ear as in the Bitter Uprising, As on the day of the Wilderness Test, when your ancestors turned and put me to the test. For forty years they watched me at work among them, as over and over they tried my patience. And I was provoked - oh, was I provoked! 'Can't they keep their minds on God for five minutes? Do they simply refuse to walk down my road?' Exasperated, I exploded, 'They'll never get where they're headed, never be able to sit down and rest.'"  (Psalm 95)

Worship is the fuel that blesses our journey.  I wonder how some people can get by without worshiping God?  There is a purpose for our singing praises to God whether it be hymns or praise songs; the join the chorus of all around the world who have the desire to praise God.  And it is all because God deserves it.  God is the "Rock who saved us."  It is God who made all things, and holds all things.  It is God who feeds us, the sheep of His flock.  It is God who guides us.  And we will never get to where we're headed unless we turn to God.

It matters not the style of worship you like, it just matters that you should worship God.  The day nor the place matters.  Yes, you should regularly join other believers to praise God for the fellowship fuel that blesses our journey too, but the charge is:  Worship God!  As a young man away from home going to college, I found myself having to work on Sundays.  Thankfully, it was every other Sunday, so I could return home on occasion and be at my home church .  But I found out that First United Methodist of Jacksonville, Texas, had a night service, so I was determined that I would still worship God even if it was at night and even if it was in a new church.  I convinced a group of cafeteria workers who also worked the morning and noon of that Sunday, to join me as we trekked over to FUMC.  We must have shocked and surprised the small crowd and Dr. Gilpin, the pastor, but we were welcomed and we sang, and we heard a marvelous sermon, and we praised God.  That blessed my week and the week of the co-workers.  We continued that every other Sunday night, walking as a group from the church to the DQ for our meal (when we had money), and it was a  complete day of the Lord for us.

Make your life complete by worshiping God.  

PRAYER:  Loving God for those of Your who serve in preparing and offering worship, thank You.  For places prepared for our worship, thank You.  May we not take them for granted as we gather to worship and praise You.  In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde