Monday, June 26, 2017

And Sometimes We Laugh

Image from pinterest.com

Then little children were being brought to him in order that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them; but Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.’ And he laid his hands on them and went on his way. (Matthew 19:13-15)

How I wish there was a simple verse that said, "Jesus laughed."  I've looked and looked.  There isn't one.  But as I thought about what could make Jesus laugh, I thought about the above passage.  After speaking on a subject that moved His emotions (read the entire chapter on your own), children are brought to Jesus for a blessing and His ever protective disciples want the children sent away.  Thankfully, Jesus overhears this exchange and says for the children to be brought to Him.  I thought about the number of children sermons I've done, and seen; not once have I seen the person sharing God's word with kids frown or do it angrily.  And, that's my prayer, Lord, I don't want to see that or be that person!  You always see them smile.  Some even laugh knowing that if a question is asked, no telling what sort of answer one will receive.  One child, during one of my children's sermon, before I even started said, "My daddy spanked me this morning!"  The church laughed, well, except for the Dad.  

Laughter has been called "The best medicine," and its special place in life is worth noting.  Laughter reminds us that even to the sometimes overly seriousness of life, we counter it with this expression of joy.  And those of us who have seen or experienced some difficult things, do find healing in laughter.  Laughter sometimes disarms those who mean us harm.  Laughter sometimes expresses the gratitude for an unexpected blessing.  Laughter connects us with children.  And, I believe laughter connects us with God.  It is easier to share God with those who have laughed and have been put at ease.  The late Zig Ziglar, noted speaker and author, used to tell his students that the best message would have humor every seven minutes.  

Dear one, as you reflect on your life and what may be ahead for you this week, think on Jesus and His love for life and His love for us.  Think of yourself as one of the children blessed by Him on that day.  Look at His face and try to imagine the huge smile or laugh as He picks you up and says things of God to you.  Yes, Jesus loves us that much.

PRAYER:  Lord, even in the darkest moments of life, shine Your smile on us and grant to us the calm and peace that is ours because of You.  Bless this dear reader in whatever she or he may be facing, and let the gift and healing of laughter come to them at the appropriate time.  Bless us especially when we think we cannot or should not, laugh.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day.  And laugh more today than ever!

Eradio Valverde