Thursday, June 22, 2017

Sometimes We Cry

Image from pinterest.com

Jesus wept.  (John 11:35)

This verse is perhaps the most famous and chosen back in the days of Sunday school and Bible memorization.  Usually our teacher would ask us to choose a verse from the Bible, memorize it and share it the next Sunday.  Some of the smarter kids would choose longer verses; the boys (usually) would giggle and shoot glances at one another and say almost laughingly, "Jesus wept."  And what does a kind, loving Sunday school teacher say or do?  "That's fine.  Thank you."  I now wondered how she felt about hearing that verse about four or five times in the same class?

Crying is the one emotion most of us try to hide.  It's the one addressed by some cultures as not being a part of true manhood, as in "Los hombres no lloran."  (Men don't cry); yet, as I have shared, I saw my dad cry and cry hard; sob might be a better word.  Crying is an expression of an emotion that cannot be held inside, and spiritually, I believe if sighing, as Romans says, is a form of prayer, crying is a sung expression of deep feelings that say to God, "I cannot handle this, I don't know what to do, but I know Who I can turn to, and that is You.  Take my hand, my heart, and just hold me."  And crying is usually the first step towards healing and coping.  Notice that the shortest verse in the Bible, according to King James' bible, contains two words; Jesus and wept.  Jesus, the symbol of salvation, hope, and all that could be good and strong in the world; and wept, which some take as a form of surrender or weakness.  Some have questioned why the Man who can restore life, cried at the end of the life of someone.  Remember, that Jesus was fully human as well as fully God, and few other verses show the connection that God has with our situation than to express His emotions because He knows how we feel.  Lazarus had died.  Jesus knew that, but as He is surrounded by people whom He loved and they are crying, Jesus cried too.  What a connection God desires to have with you and me!

I will always remember a young man with political ambitions at my university.  I would see him every morning and he would always ask, "How are you?"  He was known by almost all students as the guy who asked that question.  And what would everyone say to him?  "I'm fine."  Most were not.  The stress of college life, finances, food, friends, the big life-decisions were looming; and as fast as this guy walked and as soon as he asked the question, he would respond, "That's great!"  Many were the times my friends would say, "We can't tell him, 'Oh, man, I can't face this any longer!'" He would be almost of range and we'd hear, "That's great!"  God is not like that and though our prayers may say, "God, I'm fine," God knows better.  Look at the graphic for today.  The word says FINE, but it is made up of the truth we hold inside:  Notice the first word is "crying," followed by a list of things that can make us cry:  depressed, hurt, frustrated, disgusted, disheartened, rejected, misunderstood, bitter, and broken.  What a list, but what a life that sometimes brings these to us.  We have Jesus.  Jesus understands and He wept.  Sometimes we have to as well.  Read the words of the psalmist who wrote, "You (God) have collected all my tears in Your bottle.  You have recorded each one in your book."

PRAYER:  Loving Father, you know best what we hold inside and why sometimes we cry.  We surrender to You in hope of being held, loved, and comforted.  We know You will sustain us and guide us to a deeper life as we move forward with You.  I pray an extra special blessing on those reading this who have been crying; especially those who have hidden it from others.  Comfort them in a mighty way; in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.  Cry if you need to.  But cry with hope.

Eradio Valverde