Wednesday, August 02, 2017

An Invitation to Abundant Life

Image from lunaticoutpost.com

Ho, everyone who thirsts,come to the waters;and you that have no money,come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labour for that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good,and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; listen, so that you may live. I will make with you an everlasting covenant,my steadfast, sure love for David. See, I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples. See, you shall call nations that you do not know, and nations that do not know you shall run to you because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel,for he has glorified you. Seek the Lord while he may be found,call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake their way, and the unrighteous their thoughts;let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts,nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth,so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:1-9)

My family and I lived in Kingsville, Texas for thirteen years of my life.  During that whole time, we shopped only at Chapa's Grocery Store.  That was where I had my first job at 9 years of age.  There was an HEB, a supermarket, but we never set foot in it.  Honestly, I did not really know where it was until I was a littler older than 9.  At the corner of the block on the same side as Chapa's, there was a larger store named Martinez' Grocery store.  From time to time we ran to Martinez' for items that Chapa did not have.  As I have come to know of God's invitation to abundant life, I've compared it to the way my world changed when we moved to Houston.  There was no outlet or franchise location of Chapa's in Houston.  There were no HEB's, only Kroger, and Safeways.  And upon first entering the supermarket on our first grocery buying trip, it was like we had stepped into another world, a complete city the same size of Kingsville under one roof!

What God offers is what the prophet Isaiah knew and wrote about.  It is a new world and it can't compare to the world we know.  We know a world where items have prices and some not cheap at all, and worse there are times when we can't afford very much, or even anything at all.  Yet, it is God who loving says, "Come, you who are thirsty, and you who are hungry, drink and eat!  You don't need money, my gifts have no price at all.  They're free, but they're not cheap, and these will last for all eternity.  For what God offers is love, grace, and compassion, and as we enter into relationship with God through Jesus Christ, we are part of the glory of God.  Ours is to seek the Lord, talk with Him, and let others see Him in us, so that they too, may come and be a part of the feast that God offers.  God offers us forgiveness and offers us new life.  We will come to know as the prophet did, that God thoughts are not our thoughts; and God's ways are not our ways.  God's ways and thoughts are better and more satisfying. 

PRAYER:  LOVING God, I want to accept Your invitation to abundant life.  I want new eyes, new ears, and a new heart to truly and fully understand your ways in all things.  Be with those in need this morning of Your grace and comfort; bring Your healing touch to all who hurt and need healing; for we pray this prayer of faith, loving and trusting You, in Christ Jesus our Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Step into abundant life today!  Let it be obvious that you belong to God!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Request:  Our prayers for our brother Bill Reaves of Gonzales, TX, who undergoes surgery early this morning.  May God's healing touch be with he, and comfort be with Ann, his wife.