Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Who Do You Say Jesus Is?

Image from agnusday.org

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.’And Jesus answered him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.’ Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. (Matthew 16:13-20)

Most people have an idea of Who Jesus is.  Usually, it's an "out there" sort of answer, much like the one John Wesley gave before he came to know Jesus personally; "I know Him to be the Savior of the world."  The one who asked him the question then asked, "Don't you know Him as your savior?"  And Wesley wrote that he did not.  The disciples are first asked by Jesus in the above passage, what people were saying about Him.  They shared what they had heard, that some thought him to be John the Baptist, other Elijah, and some, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.  Then the really important question to them, and us:  "But who do you say that I am?"  It was Simon Peter who answered immediately, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."  Boom.  He was correct.  And notice what Jesus says in response to this good answer.  "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah!  For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in Heaven."  Then the kicker:  "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.  I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."  Petros becomes the rock, the foundation of Christ's church.  It was Peter's faith and walk with God that helped him see Who Jesus truly was, and was rewarded by Jesus for this faith.  Of course, like you and me, this was on this day, and later, he was not in such high standing with Jesus because of things Peter would say.  Yet, he remained in favor, never rejected  by Jesus, just like us.

We have a profound responsibility to share with others the faith we have in Jesus.  What we say, how we say it; what we do, and how we do it - all show Who Jesus is in our lives.  Ours is a living witness to the Son of the Most High, and any little thing that diminishes from that, may harm the faith of someone else.  Why not be intentional today in showing Jesus as your Lord and Savior in a way that compels others to want to know more.

PRAYER:  Loving Father, thank You for Jesus.  Thank You for letting Jesus be the Lord and Savior of my life.  May I have the courage and boldness to show Him as my Lord and Savior.  May I live my life in a way that glorifies You and blesses others.  This I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show Jesus off today!

Eradio Valverde

Prayers for Rev. Sid Spiller, whose wife died this weekend.  May God's comfort be with her.  And continued prayers for Rev. Michael Dobbs and his health.