Thursday, August 10, 2017

Revive Us Again!

Image from youtube.com

Lord, you were favourable to your land; you restored the fortunes of Jacob. You forgave the iniquity of your people; you pardoned all their sin.You withdrew all your wrath; you turned from your hot anger. Restore us again, O God of our salvation,and put away your indignation towards us. Will you be angry with us for ever? Will you prolong your anger to all generations? Will you not revive us again, so that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your steadfast love, O Lord, and grant us your salvation. Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts. Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land. Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other. Faithfulness will spring up from the ground, and righteousness will look down from the sky. The Lord will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase. Righteousness will go before him, and will make a path for his steps. (Psalm 85)

There's no telling how many plants I have killed in my lifetime.  I have planted and replanted, and tried to have this or that grow here and there, and what I usually end up having are little pots filled with dust.  The only success was asking my grandson Liam to help me plant a gardenia bush that flourished right away and bloomed some delicious-smelling flowers.  In our move from Corpus here, I donated a Valley lemon tree and a Valencia orange tree to the district office.  But we did discover some plants we had written off as dead, were revived and are now doing well here.

The psalmist knew the land and how planting and growing worked; but more importantly, he knew the need for our souls to be restored and revived in the Lord.  There is nothing sadder than to see a human whose soul is like the pot full of dust. Lack of prayer, worship, scripture reading, conversation about God all lead to the slow death of one's soul. A pot of dust does not have reason to be joyful.  It has long lost the sweet touch of love on it, and no love can come from it for others.  Salvation is the full restoration of that pot from dust to fertile soil to blooming plant; and it can and should happen in our souls.  Seek a relationship with God and all these things will be added unto you.

PRAYER:  Loving God, may the sweet rain of salvation be mine today.  I confess my sins and admit my need for You, so come living Lord into my life and reign there as Lord and Savior.  May the stale dust of inactivity and indifference towards You and Your love be blown away by Your Holy Spirit so that I may rejoice in new life.  This I pray in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Seek the Lord while He may be found; then share Him with someone today!

Eradio Valverde