Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Conquer the World!

Image from http://blog.frankiefoto.com/2013/06/conquer-the-world/

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent loves the child. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For the love of God is this, that we obey his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faith. Who is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?  This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only but with the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit is the truth. (1 John 5:1-6 NRSV)

Good day, dear Friend!  I pray this finds you well and ready to enjoy this midweek day!  I apologize that yesterday I had ministry to do and was not able to share my thoughts on this passage, the epistle for this coming Sunday, as I normally do, but I enjoyed praying with some special people in special circumstances.  A dear family that joined our church on one of those Sundays where I should have been fired (apparently throwing flour tortillas in the sanctuary is not enjoyed by everyone... but this couple loved it! I should add I officiated at their wedding and prayed for the hubby's surgery yesterday); and Pastor Matt and I visited a lovely couple, recent members of our church, he, 91 years young (looks great!) who wants to be baptized; she battling cancer.  They have the biggest dachshund I have ever seen; we're talking HUGE!  Friendly and loves to have his belly rubbed.  Some days I say, I can't believe I get paid to do what I do!

Our passage has an amazing task:  Dear Reader, Conquer the world.  Ready?  Not in the Adolf sort of way, but in the Jesus of Nazareth way!  If indeed you and I believe that Jesus has been born of God, we have faith.  Let's go deeper; if you and I love Jesus, we love God.  Deeper still:  If you and I have been born of God (check!), then we can conquer the world!  What does the world offer?  Sadly, a list too long to list, but overall, it's negative when you compare it to the love of Jesus.  A songwriter from New Mexico, Fernando Ortega sings a song called "Give Me Jesus,"  a simple, but powerful song that sums up this passage and the love and faith we should have towards the Lord: (For the sake of brevity,I edited the repetitive lines) 

In the morning, when I rise Give me Jesus You can have all this world Just give me Jesus When I am alone Give me Jesus You can have all this world Just give me Jesus Give me Jesus When I come to die Give me Jesus

The Rev. Dr. Leonard Sweet, a seminary professor, speaker and  author, whom I've seen numerous times, once just said that he had reached that point in his life when this song said it all for him.  And there is no better way to conquer the world than by sharing the awesome love of Christ to all. If the world comes at you with hate, give love.  If the world offers bleakness, offer hope.  If the world offers great riches, share the riches of Christ Jesus; and by the same token:  If your friend is in darkness, offer the light of Jesus.  If they fight loneliness, offer the constant and loving presence of Jesus with them.  Conquer the world!

PRAYER:  Loving God, bless me so richly today that I will burst with love and light; and I will begin to conquer the world for Your sake. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Friend, conquer the world!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUESTS AND UPDATES:  Dear ones, thank you for your prayers.  Please pray for Dane Sullivan who underwent back surgery yesterday in Austin.  Debbie Robinson, Deannie Ploeger, Betty Sample, and Bernice Haldersen; all who are recovering from surgery.  Pray for one another!