Monday, May 07, 2018

Is Jesus' Joy Complete in You?

Image from agnusday.org

 ‘I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. (John 17:6-19)

Great day, Dear Friend!  I pray this is but the start of many blessings for a great day and a wonderful work week!  

I remember when we were children we sang a lot in my church.  We sang in Kingsville, and sang even more in Houston.  One of my favorites was "I've got the joy, joy, joy, down in my heart?  Where?  Down in my heart!" and it would be repeated until we'd sing the refrain, "And I'm so happy, so very happy; I've got the love of Jesus in my heart (down in my heart), and I'm so happy so very happy; I've got the love of Jesus in my heart."  Some years later, a genius thinker added, "I've got that chicken-eatin' Methodism down in my heart," and all was well with the world!  And the Bible writer says in Nehemiah 8:10: "Do not be grieved for the joy of the LORD is your strength."  In this passage you read above, Jesus is talking to God the Father.  In it, He's revealing a lot to us about what was in His heart at this point of His life.  But it is important to note that Jesus was full of joy; and His desire was for those who believe and follow Him should have their joy complete in Him.  The reason is that Jesus has given us God's word, namely the good news about God's love and desire to be in relationship with God.  We belong to God and God's desire is to sanctify us (make us holy) and bless and protect us from the evil one.  And because of all this, we are sent into the world to bring others in.  

At the close of yesterdays' service a guest to our church looked for me and shared with me her story and the great needs she has in her life.  She explained she was from another city and the UM church there, but the people there have yet to welcome and speak to her; and the pastor would not listen nor help her with her problems.  I share this knowing there is another side to her story and I will not judge my brother in ministry; but do wonder how joyful a church we truly are.  The challenge is to love one another, with no exceptions.  If we are to have our joy complete, then we should share our joy and our love with all people.  I even asked our church during the pastoral prayer to add to their prayer, the one taught us by Rev. Jorge Acevedo of Florida, "Lord, send us those no one wants or sees."  Pray that prayer and let it sink in your heart and soul.  Hard to believe, but there are some who don't want certain people, and even sadder still; some who don't even see certain people.  If we are sanctified people of the Lord, we are to be like Christ, seeing and welcoming all.

PRAYER:  Gracious Heavenly Father, make our joy complete in You by filling us with love, compassion, drive and passion to be truly sanctified follower and servants of Yours.  Open our eyes and hearts to see and welcome all by our actions and words to the Kingdom that welcomes all people, even you and me; we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Share the joy of the Lord with your life and words.

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST:  Dear ones, please add to your prayers, the health of The Rev. Thom C. Elliott, who is in ICU in Austin.  Thom has had numerous rough years because of illness; pray for his healing and deliverance from this.  Pray for one another in the name of Jesus our Lord.  Make God's joy complete in your prayers and actions!