Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Here I Am!  Send Me!

Image from youtube.com

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Master sitting on a throne - high, exalted! - and the train of his robes filled the Temple. Angel-seraphs hovered above him, each with six wings. With two wings they covered their faces, with two their feet, and with two they flew." And they called back and forth one to the other, Holy, Holy, Holy is God-of-the-Angel-Armies. His bright glory fills the whole earth. The foundations trembled at the sound of the angel voices, and then the whole house filled with smoke. I said, "Doom! It's Doomsday! I'm as good as dead! Every word I've ever spoken is tainted - blasphemous even! And the people I live with talk the same way, using words that corrupt and desecrate. And here I've looked God in the face! The King! God-of-the-Angel-Armies!" Then one of the angel-seraphs flew to me. He held a live coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. He touched my mouth with the coal and said, "Look. This coal has touched your lips. Gone your guilt, your sins wiped out."  And then I heard the voice of the Master: "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" I spoke up, "I'll go. Send me!" (Isaiah 6:1-8 The Message)

Good day dear Friend; I'm sitting here early morning with two of my granddaughters, one of whom, Ada, said, "Today is going to be a beautiful day!"  I replied, "Yes, it is; it will be a beautiful day!"  She of course pointed out that it was dark outside and asked when morning would come.  I said in a few minutes, then the hopeful thing she said.  I pray that it is a beautiful day for you.

This is a powerful passage from the prophet Isaiah.  He shares a vision he had on a sad occasion; the death of a beloved king, King Uzziah.  I still remember clearly my Old Testament professor saying that we as Americans did not have a full understanding of what it is to serve under a monarchy; and all that comes with it.  I think we've bridged that gap a bit with the reaction and reception of the Royal Wedding last Saturday.  I think we're getting the picture, almost.  The death of a beloved king is something we may never fully understand, but the death of JFK and others have impacted our memories.  Yet, even in the mourning that came with that death of King Uzziah, Isaiah was lifted up to the heavens to see God sitting on a throne as He was being worshipped by the angels who attend to His court.  This made the prophet even more afraid of being in God's presence.  His reaction might be ours as well; to find our unclean selves in the presence of the holy God, will make us immediately reconsider who we are and what we've done.  In this version, he thinks to words that he has said, "every word I've ever spoken is tainted- blasphemous even! And the people I live with talk the same way, using words that corrupt and desecrate.  And here I've looked God in the face!"  Whoa.  You and I don't need to wait to stand before God to take inventory of our lives and some of the things we have said or done.  We know we're guilty most days, and we stand in need of forgiveness.  Isaiah's mouth was touched with a coal and proclaimed clean - you and I have been touched by God's grace and we've been proclaimed clean too as we confess our sins to the Lord.  

The Lord then shared the need for someone to go and speak truth to all; the prophet replies immediately, after his cleansing and says, "Here I am; send me!" (NRS Version). This reminds me of the hymn we sometimes sing, "I the Lord of wind and flame, I will tend the poor and lame, I will set a feast for them, My hand will save. Finest bread I will provide, till their hearts are satisfied, I will give my life to them, whom shall I send?  Here I am, Lord; is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night.  I will go, Lord, if you lead me; I will hold Your people in my heart."  Many a life has been touched and changed because of that song; and many who have said Yes to the Lord as they follow Him into active ministry in all walks of life.

Do you feel you have something that's keeping you from following the Lord?  Here's the good news:  That sin is as good as forgiven the instant you confess and turn it over to Him.  Why carry extra baggage around that Christ died for over 2,000 years ago?  Give it to Him.  And then give yourself to Him.

PRAYER:  Loving God, we confess we stand in need of forgiveness.  Like the prophet we have said or thought words that were not worthy of Your approval.  Forgive us and make us new.  Let us hear clearly Your voice as we seek to be guided by You as we minister and serve among Your people.  Let our lives say, "Here I am, send me!"  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  It will be a beautiful day with you serving the Lord today!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST:  We ask for prayers this morning for Mr. Bill Meadows who is undergoing a heart Cath in San Antonio.  We pray that all go well and whatever is troubling Bill be corrected this morning.  Pray for his wife, Cheryl, and all who pray for Bill this morning.  Pray for one another.  And, pray for yourself!