Thursday, May 31, 2018

Look in the Mirror and say this:  I Am Awesome!

Image from ideas.wikia.com

God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand. I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight.  You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence. I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too - your reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in! Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God - you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration - what a creation!  You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something.  Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.  Your thoughts - how rare, how beautiful! God, I'll never comprehend them!  I couldn't even begin to count them - any more than I could count the sand of the sea. Oh, let me rise in the morning and live always with you! (Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18 The Message)

Dear Friend, I pray this finds you well and ready to face the day, or end the day, or to face lunch, depending on when you read this.

Most of us are too old to have been subjected to something my grandkids have had to endure.  And I'm half-teasing about the enduring part of what is known as The Elf on the Shelf.  This mythical creature sees all and knows all - and reports all to the big guy.  No, not Him,  but to Santa Claus.  Jews, not to be left behind had the Mench on a Bench; basically same duties:  watch kids and make sure they behave so that their eight magical days will be wonderful.  I guess we Latinos need El Abuelo en El Suelo (the Grandpa on the floor, thought I might resemble that remark!).  But, as we read the first six verses of today's psalm, we have been and are, under careful and loving watch.  The psalmist knew this and invited it; "God, investigate meh life; get all the facts firsthand."  Then, he shares honestly what he perceives himself to be like.  And he also shares what we should know as well.  God loves us, and watches us; more importantly, God cares and protects us if we invite that from Him.  I love the poetic descriptions he shares about God's ability:  "I'm never out of your sight (parents, you know how important that is; one second out of sight in a crowded place gets one a bit nervous); You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence.  I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too - your reassuring presence, coming and going."  And I love how he sees this as being "too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in!"  I don't know about you, but this motivates me to more carefully and joyfully live; asking that my every thought, every action, every deed be a reflection of a deep, committed relationship with our Lord.

Here's the second part; the psalmist, not in an obnoxious way, declares himself to be "marvelously made!"  And that holds true for you, dear one, and for me.  That's what I gave you that first assignment, to look in a mirror and claim that for yourself:  You are awesomely made, so say, "I am awesome."  And, this is your second assignment, say that to someone you know and love.  Don't be like the farmer in the old joke, who after being some forty years, his wife said, "Honey, you don't tell me you love me any more."  The man, barely looking up from the paper replied, "I told you forty years ago I loved you, and if I ever change my mind I'll let you know!"  It doesn't work like that.  Try that in 40 years with your spouse and report back!  Words can bless, and we should bless someone with a positive word, like "Did you know you are awesomely made by God?"  Or, whatever is more appropriate in your setting.  Share a word of encouragement.  Seek to lift up someone today.  But, start with you.  Many have the problem of remembering only the negative someone told us a long time ago, and we haven't erased it or forgotten it or have stopped it from influencing us.  For pastors, as an example, 200 people can tell us we preached a great sermon, and one negative one will say, "I've heard better..."  And guess which comment stays with that pastor?  If one member of your family says a good word to you today, let that guide and bless you today.  Ignore the negative and realize where it's coming from and pray for that person.  You be the uplifter!  You be the God-voice today; and again, start with YOU!

PRAYER:  Loving God, I thank You for making this dear reader in an awesome way.  I pray they will feel this as I pray for them, and that that will inspire them to share that same prayer and word with someone who might be in need of it.  Remove the negative thoughts and comments someone has placed there; and fill us with Your grace and love.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Say again, I am Awesome because God made me that way!

Eradio Valverde

Please feel free to forward this to someone who might need this blessing!

PRAYER REQUEST:  Prayers for Forrest Penny as he in hospitalized in Gonzales Hospital  He may leave today, but he is battling cancer and needs our prayers for defeating that dreaded disease.  Pray that he be part of the 3% who do survive this type of cancer.  Prayers for Debbie Robinson, who hopes to be released from her rehabilitation stay and return home this Sunday.  Pray for her strength and mobility to come back in a wonderful way to maneuver around her home.  Pray for one another.  Pray for yourself. Prayers for my bride, Nellie Valverde, who will undergo surgery next Tuesday in San Antonio.  Pray for me as I will be her care-giver.