Wednesday, January 11, 2023

God is Our Strength

Image from steadfastlutherans.org

Listen here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/God-is-Our-Strength-e1tb3j7

View here: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7187255636495928622?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&lang=en

1 Listen, far-flung islands, pay attention, faraway people: God put me to work from the day I was born. The moment I entered the world he named me. 2 He gave me speech that would cut and penetrate. He kept his hand on me to protect me. He made me his straight arrow and hid me in his quiver. 3 He said to me, "You're my dear servant, Israel, through whom I'll shine." 4 But I said, "I've worked for nothing. I've nothing to show for a life of hard work. Nevertheless, I'll let God have the last word. I'll let him pronounce his verdict." 5 "And now," God says, this God who took me in hand from the moment of birth to be his servant, To bring Jacob back home to him, to set a reunion for Israel - What an honor for me in God's eyes! That God should be my strength! 6 He says, "But that's not a big enough job for my servant - just to recover the tribes of Jacob, merely to round up the strays of Israel. I'm setting you up as a light for the nations so that my salvation becomes global!" 7 God, Redeemer of Israel, The Holy of Israel, says to the despised one, kicked around by the nations, slave labor to the ruling class: "Kings will see, get to their feet - the princes, too - and then fall on their faces in homage Because of God, who has faithfully kept his word, The Holy of Israel, who has chosen you." (Isaiah 49:1-7 The Message Bible)

The town of Reform, Alabama, was so named by the townspeople after a traveling evangelist urged the people to change their ways and "Reform!" So, the town today has ten churches for a population of 1,400! This from a man I follow on YouTube, who likes to visit out-of-the-way small towns. He was impressed, as was I. The town rose to the task, took this preacher seriously and named the town after his exhortation. This passage speaks the same to the people of Israel: You must be up to the task to which you were called, to be the people of God! God's plan is for Israel to be faithful so that that serves as an inspiration to others about faithfulness.

The prophet shares his life's story and calling. Isaiah says he was put to work from the moment he was born. It was the same moment he was named by God, and given the gift of speech that "would cut and penetrate." God protected him and he felt like an arrow made straight and kept in a quiver. Though he sees himself as the embodiment of Israel, who as a country should have been keeping what God asks, he realizes that the nation has not kept their part of the deal and so he submits to whatever God would deem as a just judgment. God would have the last word. And God's last word is for reunion; God wants Israel to work towards bringing those outside, inside. Those who have strayed away, are sought, and will be welcomed when they return.

The main role of Israel is to be a light to the world as a nation that radiates justice and love, compassion and peace - all are welcome. This makes me wonder, would your nation be considered a light? Would ours? And getting closer to home, would your church be considered a llight to the world? Would our church be one? The main obstacle is for our nations and our churches, to put God first in the rightful role that God deserves. Jesus spoke of not hiding the lamp under a bushel or hiding its light where no one could see it. And the place to truly begin, is in us. We need to put God first in our lives and hearts in such a powerful way that that would radiate out into our homes, our workplaces, our churches, and into the places of darkness. Let it begin with me.

PRAYER: Awesome God of Light and Love, shine brightly in me in ways that radiate to others. May we seek to place You first in our hearts. Let us truly be examples; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Let the shine in you begin with your smile.

Receive my blessings of joy and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.

***PRAYER UPDATES AND REQUESTS: Please pray for Dr. Commie Hisey's stepfather who is having some medical issues. He will be undergoing a biopsy by a pulmonologist today. Pray all is well with him, and calm and peace for all of his loved ones. My neighbor, Hector Cruz, underwent the procedure to drain the cyst and that was successful, but he remains in severe pain. May God bring healing and relief soon.