Wednesday, January 25, 2023

What Does God Require?

Image from newlifenarrabi.com

8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8 New International Version)

I was a proud Rotarian for many years, leaving the club when my travel schedule as a superintendent did not allow me time to stay with one club. I joined by accident; a dear church member in our church of Mission. had invited me to speak at the Mission Rotary Club which met at a really nice country club. As we were leaving after my talk I mentioned to the member that I would love to, one day, be a member of the club. He thought I wanted to become a Rotarian and so by the next week I was being trained into what waas required of me. I joined Rotary when the rules and requirements were pretty strict. Membership was limited to two person of the same profession; but Paul Harris, the founder of Rotary had said there would be no limits to the number of members that were from the Press or Clergy. He believed in good press and with many reporters in the club, he believed they would do a good job of promoting the club for free. And., being a believer, he knew that there was no such thing as too many clergypersons in a club. The requirements also were that one must attend a Rotary meeting each week. We were given a list of neighboring clubs around the Rio Grande Valley, so that we could choose from meetings Monday through Friday. If one missed too many meetings, we were shown the door, or so they threatened. I loved our club. It was a singing club and I loved the songs we sang. We had an older gentleman who owned a tractor store who led the singing. My daughters when I would take them with me were embarrassed at choice of songs that were clearly from the turn of the century. (They especially did not enjoy The Happy Wanderer with all its faldarees. LOL!)

The prophet Micah wants Israel to know the requirements of God were not all that difficult (for most). Israel was surrounded by those cults and religions that expected child sacrifices, temple prostitution, and a list of other unusual demands that God did not tolerate, and which God did not want Israel to follow. In what is the most famous verse from the book of the prophet Micah, he shares them for Israel and us to see, learn, and practice. I love and admire the Catholic Church, for it was the faith my mother and her side of the family followed, and for many, still follow; but I could never learn the "requirements" that Catholics were trained to do while in worship. In funerals, weddings, and even ordinations that I have attended, I never knew when to stand, sit, or kneel. And I did not know the proper responses to what the priest or deacon would say. Still, I felt at home, awkward, but at home. I admire those who know and do the things that helps them be a part of that type of worship; but the prophet says, here is what God requires. We should act justly. That means we should show justice to all people. That means we treat everyone the same, fairly and equally. No partial treatment to some, and not all, especially when it comes to the things of God. The prophet also says we should love mercy. Jesus would later explain that if we want to be shown mercy, we must show mercy to others. We should learn to forgive others, and as Jesus said, over and over again, with no limits.

And the last requirement is to walk humbly with God. There are only two people the Bible lists as not having died, and one was Enoch, who walked with God. The belief is that Enoch (Genesis 5:21-24) walked with God so closely that the day came that God simply said, "Come with me, Enoch" and took him to Heaveh. What a close and humble walk that must have been that God invited Enoch to keep walking. A humble walk is to let God lead and direct. We walk with Him whom we love and Who loves us; and trust that every step we are protected by God. There is no room for "me, me, me," in this walk; it is more like, "You, You, You, loving God." The self-centered, self-possessed will not walk with God much less humbly. God's requirement is that we begin such a walk so that we can be blessed and be a blessing to God.

PRAYER: Loving God, take us by the hand and lead us. May our ways reflect that we do walk to follow You closely and obediently . Let us truly be people of love, and people of mercy; and as You guide us let us walk closely and faithfully; in Christ Jesus' strong name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Work on your requirements!

Receive my blessings of love and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.