Thursday, January 19, 2023

The Lord is My Light & Salvation

Image from alittleperspective.com

Hear the devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/The-Lord-is-My-Light-and-Salvation-e1tmn02

View here: https://www.tiktok.com/@eradiovalverde/video/7190216164671360298?lang=en

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. 3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. 4 One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. 5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. 6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD. 7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. 8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior. 10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. 11 Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. 12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations. 13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. (Psalm 27 New International Version of The Bible)

What scares you? The sound of your angry spouse? Your angry dad? Your angry boss? Growing up I faced double jeopardy with every infraction that I may or may not have committed. I would face an immediate spanking from my Mom; whose primary work inside the home was to make sure I didn't kill my siblings. There was never any real danger of that, but sometimes I did not treat my sister in the nicest way. My sister was a great actor and could cry instantly, with tears and whimpers - always enough for Mom to mete out my punishment. It took me a while to learn that all was not well immediately. She and I would go back to playing and she seemed like the best friend she should have been. But as soon as she heard the sound of the tires on the driveway of my Dad's car, she heard the director yell, "Action!" And again, the tears and cries would start. And some of you will relate to the beginning of school "talk" your parent may have had with the teachers about, "If my child misbehaves, you spank them, and then let me know, and I will spank them again!" Gulp. Double gulp.

Fear is part of our survival instincts. It prepares us for "fight or flight." And fear is common among most people who find themselves in trouble; re-read the story of David - starts with the predators that threatened his flocks, then the giant, then the wrath of the King Saul, so he knew all about darkness and crisis, and strongholds; and follows the theme of this week that the Lord is light. Here he reaffirms this in the first verse, "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?" We can be afraid, but not to the point of defeat or surrender, for our help is the Lord. He knew the saving power of God and yearned to be in God's presence to worship Him. Look at verse 4: "One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple." In God, the psalmist knows he has powerful protection and comfort, as should we.

And the psalmist knows that our path is better when we commit to the Lord as he shares; Seek His face! And we should ask for God to guide us in His instructional path. Once it is all over, we will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. And here's key instruction of waiting for God, be strong and wait for the Lord. May it be so.

PRAYER: Loving God, we thank You for being our light and salvation. Guide us to faithfulness and fruitfulness, and may be bless others in that journey; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Share the Lord's promises with those seeking that.

Receive my blessings of love and joy,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.