Tuesday, October 31, 2006

NO, NOT ME, DEAR LORD, GET SOMEONE ELSE!

Good day dear friends.

We continue to study Accountability in our relationship with God and what is involved in that.

Here is our study guide for today:

Tuesday: In Exodus 4:10-17 we find the classic “I don’t want to do this” encounter between God and Moses. Please read that passage and figure out where you would have stood had God called you to do something that didn’t seem that appealing or inviting. Or perhaps God has and you haven’t yet said yes. Why or Why not?

Here is that passage from Exodus 4:10 But Moses said to the Lord, "O my Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor even now that you have spoken to your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." 11 Then the Lord said to him, "Who gives speech to mortals? Who makes them mute or deaf, seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? 12 Now go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you are to speak." 13 But he said, "O my Lord, please send someone else." 14 Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, "What of your brother Aaron the Levite? I know that he can speak fluently; even now he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you his heart will be glad. 15 You shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth; and I will be with your mouth and with his mouth, and will teach you what you shall do. 16 He indeed shall speak for you to the people; he shall serve as a mouth for you, and you shall serve as God for him. 17 Take in your hand this staff, with which you shall perform the signs."

Moses is another name for you and me. Why? Because you and I have been blessed by God, we've seen the greatness and power of God, and yet when God asks something of us, we are so more ready to say no than we are yes. Moses' excuse was that he had "never been eloquent." He said, "I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." Do you think Moses was saying, "God, this is your fault!"? No, not necessarily, but Moses was ready with the excuse for not doing what God was asking but God is quick to remind Moses that it is God who gives speech to the mortals and that God would be with him as he would go about doing the work of God. Yet, Moses says a second time, "O my Lord, please send someone else." Talk about pushing your luck! God, though, lovingly says, okay, we'll do this using your brother Aaron. God found a suitable way to make this work.

What has God called you to do? Why have you said no, if that's the case? God has all power to help us accomplish God's purposes for our lives and God's will. Why do we resist? How can we, in our relationship with God, not be accountable or reliable to the Lord as He may need us? Let today be the day of finally deciding, I will do God's will. I will go and do what God has asked of me, for I go not alone, but with the power and backing of God for my life.

PRAYER: Come, Lord God and make me obedient to You. Let me say Yes! to You and what You have asked of me. Let me seek ways to please You and bring others to know You. I ask this in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day!

e.v.