Wednesday, August 19, 2009

2 PAUL'S GOSPEL: WHAT IS YOUR CHURCH KNOWN FOR?


God of all healings, bring your healing touch to the needs of this dear reader and/or of his/her family. In Christ Jesus' name, amen.

From Romans 1, beginning with verse 8, we find these words: 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed throughout the world. 9 For God, whom I serve with my spirit by announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you always in my prayers, 10 asking that by God's will I may somehow at last succeed in coming to you. 11 For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— 12 or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. 13 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as I have among the rest of the Gentiles. 14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish 15 —hence my eagerness to proclaim the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

Isn't it good whenever your church is known beyond its four walls for something good that it does? Usually, though, it might be for its building or location or an annual thing hosted on the grounds of the church. "Oh yeah, you're the church with the big flea market." Or "yes, the church with all the pumpkins!" The church is Rome was known for its faith. Located and living among people whose lack of faith was something worth praying for, the Christians in Rome were known for working hard in trying to share Jesus with those cosmopolitan citizens who lacked faith, direction, and purpose. Paul's desire was to go and ministry alongside them in their work. His belief was that maybe he could share something he had received from God with them. Paul wanted the Christians in Rome to be strong in their work and faith. He also knew that by working alongside them he could receive a blessing for his own faith and life. Paul knew the setting and the needs of the people in Rome and his faith was such that said, If I can go there and work alongside you, we can reach more people for Jesus. We need to reach all people, not just Jews (or our kind). Paul's own life had been blessed by the different, and sometimes "strange" people who had helped or had been helped by him.

What are you known for when it comes to your faith? Is it known beyond the local church? Are you known for being a hard worker and believer in Jesus? Are you working to make your church one that attracts "Barbarians and Greeks, the wise and the foolish?" Let's get busy!

PRAYER: Loving God of all, I thank you for my church and I ask that today be the start of my working to make it known for what it not only believes but does because of its faith. Let me be one who motivates others to service and faithfulness as we try to win the world for You. I ask this in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde