Monday, June 20, 2011

Linked with Jesus!

Blessed Lord, take the hand of this dear reader and guide them gently into the fullness of life; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Matthew 10:40 "We are intimately linked in this harvest work. Anyone who accepts what you do, accepts me, the One who sent you. Anyone who accepts what I do accepts my Father, who sent me. 41 Accepting a messenger of God is as good as being God's messenger. Accepting someone's help is as good as giving someone help. This is a large work I've called you into, but don't be overwhelmed by it. It's best to start small. 42 Give a cool cup of water to someone who is thirsty, for instance. The smallest act of giving or receiving makes you a true apprentice. You won't lose out on a thing." (The Message)

When I joined a service club in San Marcos, I had to attend a fire-side chat. These are orientation meetings about the club and the club's principles. My club is big on service and thus the motto: Service Above Self. Okay, you guessed it, I joined the Rotary Club in San Marcos. The gentleman giving the club told of his introduction to service while being a member of the then-world's largest Rotary Club, the one in Manhattan, New York. He happened to share a birthday with two famous men and the custom in that club was to sit at the Birthday Table on your birthday. He told of sitting between Norman Vincent Peale and J. C. Penney. Okay, the man was really old. But the two older men told this young man that that Friday they would be doing a service project together. He remembers that he was not invited nor asked, "If you can make it;" they said be at this particular place at this certain hour. He was there. I would have been there too! Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, and Mr. J. C. Penney! THese two great men spend the day taking children of Harlem to the movies. They knew the kids who normally would not be taken to the movies so they did this service for others.

Being always linked to Jesus is what helps us in life. It is also what helps us help others. Jesus was big on the disciples doing things for others. Self-service as it were, was not a mark of a good disciple; a true disciple is one who gives of themselves in doing for others. In the above shared story, it was not the matter of the movies as it was showing a youngster that one cares. So Jesus says that our service can start with the sharing of a glass of water with someone. The work of Jesus is a large work and anything and everything we do for Him helps others. What are you doing?

PRAYER: Loving Lord, I know that sometimes I prefer to do nothing, but help me change that and help me be a person who cares and who gives to others. I want to be linked with You in service to the world. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde