Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ready to Quit?

Loving God found in all places, place Your touch upon the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 145: 8 God is all mercy and grace - not quick to anger, is rich in love. 9 God is good to one and all; everything he does is suffused with grace. 10 Creation and creatures applaud you, God; 11 your holy people bless you. They talk about the glories of your rule, they exclaim over your splendor, 12 Letting the world know of your power for good, the lavish splendor of your kingdom. 13 Your kingdom is a kingdom eternal; you never get voted out of office. God always does what he says, and is gracious in everything he does. 14 God gives a hand to those down on their luck, gives a fresh start to those ready to quit. (The Message)

I stand amazed at the number of pastors whose stories include moments like mine, moments when we have been ready to walk away and quit. I had one colleague who would joke, "Next year when I'm selling cars." Or he would change it to "Next year when I'm selling insurance." I had one who said, "The situation with my church and superintendent was so bad that I almost bought a lottery ticket! And if I had won, I would have left it all behind!" You perhaps have been there too. Your job situation is not what you signed on for or your relationship has lost some of the zest or (fill in the blank!). God remains constant and steadfast. God is, as the Psalmist knew, "all mercy and grace." Thankfully, neither is God quick to anger; God's rich in love. It seesm everything we are, God is not. We select the people we want to be good to; God's good to everyone. We lack grace, God doesn't. If we could hear the applause of the trees, the song of the birds, the praises of the beasts, we would know and we would join all creation in praising God.

God will always be with us, no one can overthrow God. God is faithful in doing all that we need or ask. And God can give us a hand up especially when we need it the most. Ready to quit? God gives you instead a fresh start! Amen!

PRAYER: Thank You, Loving God for all that You are and all that You do. Help me in my greatest need this day. I trust in You and Your wisdom. I praise You and lift up this prayer of faith in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde