Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Man, You Must Be Puttin' Me On!

God of sacrifice and love; share with this dear reader that which she or he needs to live life to the fullest; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Genesis 22:1-14 and this passage can be summed up by a contemporary prophet who penned a song called "Highway 61 Revisted.:

Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61” - Bob Dylan.

You know the story and you may have heard a sermon or two about this very difficult passage. Difficult in that no parent who truly loves his or her child, wants to see harm in any fashion come to the child. Ask my wife about our early decisions to have our daughters' ears pierced while they were six months. Ask her about the "great" reception we got from others about our decision. This may help explain why our youngest had to wait until she asked. She was six. And she didn't cry. So, don't even think about asking a parent to sacrifice the life of a child. The story, in my opinion, shows a parent of faith who knew and trusted God. He trusted God to provide a son for him even in his old age. His wife did not yet share the same faith so she allowed Abraham to father a child through the maid (Don't try this if you're governor/former actor in California). And yet later a son was indeed born to Abraham through Sarah. And this is the same son that God requires as a sacrifice. Set in the time when child sacrifice was common on the neighbors of this family, the request is difficult but not unheard of. The thing that had set the faith of Abraham from the other faiths was the absence of child sacrifice, among others. Yet, that did not make this request any easier.

The story provides a strong thought about the future event when God does not hold back His only begotten Son for the sake of the world (John 3:16). Verse 12 says, "(F)or now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me." Compare Bobby's lyrics to this famous hymn:

And when I think that God his son not sparing, Sent him to die - I scarse can take it in; That on the cross my burden gladly bearing; He bled and died to take away my sin." - How Great Thou Art

It's not a question of what YOU have to do (just believe and receive); it's about what God was willing to do (and did) for you.

PRAYER: Lord, I tend to make all things about me. I measure too easily the cost of things and of reasons why I shouldn't do this or that; yet You withheld nothing for my sake. Thank You. I pray asking for a deeper faith, in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde