Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Praise Song!

God of the Way, bless and direct the path of this dear read in all that they may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 8: 1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies , that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger . 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained ; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: 7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. 9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! (King James)

I should have known God was calling me into ordained ministry since my childhood because I remember my excitement at being in Sunday school on Sunday, telling my Mom I wished we had Sunday school five days a week and regular school just on one day. On Monday, I would tell my friends about what I had learned in Sunday school and they would stare blankly at me. I would then say, "Well, go home and find the same story in your Bible!" They would all say, "We don't have Bibles. Only the priest can have a Bible." I knew even at that early age that that was not right. The excitement has not ended for me. I still get a great thrill out of reading the familiar stories and passages and being amazed, without fail, at the new things I discover in each.

The Psalmist knew all about this too. In his reflective time, he wondered about God and how awesome God is and on one of those nights wrote this very famous Psalm. The key verse for many is verse 4: What are we, that You even considered us? The Message says, "that you even bothered." Indeed, such is the awesomeness of God; that God did bother and God does care and God does watch over us. This psalm is a praise song and we should sing it in our souls as we read it.

PRAYER: Loving God, You are an awesome God and I praise You. I thank You for having made me and for watching over me and being with me. May You be glorified in my life I pray; in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde