Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Labels That Matter

Good day dear friends. Tonight, the South Central Jurisdiction Conference begins with a memorial service. Tomorrow the balloting begins on episcopal elections. As I have mentioned, I am one of ten candidates who have offered themselves for consideration. It has been a long, exciting, draining journey and it could end tomorrow or Friday. I ask you hold the ten of us in prayer. Pray also for the delegates whose votes will determine who leads our denomination forward. Pray that God's will be done in all matters. Pray also for a difficult matter regarding one of our sitting bishops.

Our text for today Psalm 23: 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; 3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long. (NRSV)

Provision. Protection. Pastoral care. Projectional direction. Positive outlook. Perpetual care. That would be too easy to just dismiss one of the most intimate and powerful passages in Scripture under several labels, but that would be missing the point about the personal, intimate appeal of a relationship with God. The psalmist had a relationship with God that he enjoyed. He understood the labels and what they meant. His being a shepherd helped him understand his place in the relationship with God. God provided for him during his life, thus the "I shall not want," which I never understood in my childhood (I thought it meant that the person saying that didn't want to go to church!) The psalmist understood the way God provided care and protection for him during difficult and challenging times. Being a pastor, he understood God's pastoral care for him; and how a good shepherd provides the directions away from danger and towards nourishment. A true, loving, trusting relationship with God is also one that helps one's attitude be positive towards life now and beyond this life.

The psalm is our invitation to get to know God more intimately and to discover what wonderful things are available to us in such a relationship. God is not a God "out there," as many have seen and experienced God, but those who know God, like the psalmist, can say, "God is right here."

PRAYER: Loving God, as I pray the words of the psalm, may it be the words that allow me to draw closer to You. May all that the psalmist knew be things I come to know. You are my shepherd, I shall not be in want. Guide and lead me to where I find what I need for life's journey. Help me to rest when it is necessary and when I'm in areas that are unsafe or uncomfortable, assure me of Your presence. May I come to know that which You offer to me as comfort and protection. Help me in the times of rejoicing and celebration to know it is because of You. May each day's journey draw closer and closer in love to You and to Yours. Let me not fear life nor life beyond this life. I pray this in Christ Jesus my Lord and Shepherd, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde