Thursday, July 19, 2012

Isn't it like God to provide for us first?

Good day dear friends. Today is the day for the first votes to be cast for new bishops in the South Central Jurisdiction. There are ten of us who have offered ourselves for three slots. I ask your prayers that God's will be done among us; that God would raise up those leaders to lead in God's work among us.

Today's passage comes from 2 Samuel 7: 1 Before long, the king made himself at home and God gave him peace from all his enemies. 2Then one day King David said to Nathan the prophet, "Look at this: Here I am, comfortable in a luxurious house of cedar, and the Chest of God sits in a plain tent." 3 Nathan told the king, "Whatever is on your heart, go and do it. God is with you." 4 But that night, the word of God came to Nathan saying, 5 "Go and tell my servant David: This is God's word on the matter: You're going to build a 'house' for me to live in? 6 Why, I haven't lived in a 'house' from the time I brought the children of Israel up from Egypt till now. All that time I've moved about with nothing but a tent. 7And in all my travels with Israel, did I ever say to any of the leaders I commanded to shepherd Israel, 'Why haven't you built me a house of cedar?' 8 "So here is what you are to tell my servant David: The God-of-the-Angel-Armies has this word for you: I took you from the pasture, tagging along after sheep, and made you prince over my people Israel. 9 I was with you everywhere you went and mowed your enemies down before you. Now I'm making you famous, to be ranked with the great names on earth. 10 And I'm going to set aside a place for my people Israel and plant them there so they'll have their own home and not be knocked around any more. Nor will evil men afflict you as they always have, 11 even during the days I set judges over my people Israel. Finally, I'm going to give you peace from all your enemies. 16 Your family and your kingdom are permanently secured. I'm keeping my eye on them! And your royal throne will always be there, rock solid." (The Message)

The story of King David has always fascinated me. Among the most interesting of titles given to his life are included in this passage, "From the Pasture to the Palace." Who would have thought that a small shepherd boy would grow to be shepherd king over one of the most powerful and richest nations of its time? Only God. From enjoying a childhood of adventure and danger, to a challenge with a giant, to being anointed king over Israel; this was David's life. What made David's life blessed was his obedience and commitment to the teachings of his mother and father about the one, true living God, Whom David sought and found, in the pasture and in the wilderness. Those writings attributed to him explore and explain the nature of God, including yesterday's study of Psalm 23. David sought and found a personal, trusting, and loving relationship with the Most High. It was after a successful military campaign as commander-in-chief of God's army that God visits David through Nathan the prophet. David beings to ask, what more can I do for God? Can I finally build God the house God has never had? At the very least, David thought, I can build a house for God's ark that serves as the throne of God and contains within it the tablets of the Law. After having shared this with Nathan, Nathan's initial reaction is go ahead, King, and do what you want; but that night God visits Nathan and reveals that God would rather build David's house, and by this God meant to establish David's lineage forever. Isn't it like God to provide for us first? One of the most successful stewardship sermon series I have come across stated the obvious, "You Can't Outgive God!" And we can't. God seeks to provide for us first; what we do in response to that love should be to bless God and God's people.

Stop and reflect on all that God has done for you. What have you done in response to God's faithfulness? Have you, like David's mother and father, sought to share your faith with your children about the one, true living God, who has provided for you? Have you tried sharing that faith with your neighbors and co-workers about what God can and is doing among you?

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for caring for us first. As a response to Your love, may we seek to provide for You and Yours. Teach me more about Your ways so that I in turn, can share with others about Your love. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde