Thursday, July 05, 2012

Mouthpiece for God?

Good day dear friends. I ask your prayers for Rev. Thom Elliott of Burnet, TX, who is undergoing knee surgery today. Please keep him in our prayers.

Our text for today comes from Ezekiel 2: 1 It said, "Son of man, stand up. I have something to say to you." 2 The moment I heard the voice, the Spirit entered me and put me on my feet. As he spoke to me, I listened. 3 He said, "Son of man, I'm sending you to the family of Israel, a rebellious nation if there ever was one. They and their ancestors have fomented rebellion right up to the present. 4 They're a hard case, these people to whom I'm sending you - hardened in their sin. Tell them, 'This is the Message of God, the Master.' 5 They are a defiant bunch. Whether or not they listen, at least they'll know that a prophet's been here. (The Message)

A prophet is one who speaks on behalf of God. The word literally meant "mouthpiece," and was a term made famous with gangster movies back in the day. The gangster would be arrested and he'd say, "I ain't saying a word! Talk to my mouthpiece." Ezekiel's call to service as a prophet came from God at a time prophets were not popular. The word from God usually involves our being right with God and during Ezekiel's time they were anything but! God told Ezekiel the truth about God's people and that whether the people heard the word or not, at least they would know that there was a prophet in their midst.

Our call into ministry sometimes may involve our having to say words that don't fit in with behavior or attitudes present in the people with whom we are ministering. Our call is not about popularity, it is about faithfulness to our relationship with God. God desires all to be right in their relationship with God and that sometimes is not a popular thing.

PRAYER: Loving God, speak to me that which I need to hear as well as that I should witness and share in my work for You. If it is not an easy word I ask for strength and wisdom to share it in a convincing way. Let me be right in my relationship with You so that that serve as the word that I need to share. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde