Tuesday, July 03, 2012

"They Are Weak, But He Is Strong!"

Good day dear friends. I'm glad to report that Betty Newmann's surgery went well and the surgeon observed what he believes was no spreading of the cancer beyond the kidney, but further test and a biopsy of the kidney will reveal more. Please continue to hold Betty and Martin in your prayers.

Our text for today comes from 2 Corinthians 12: 2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. 5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses.6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. (NRSV)

It's song you can never forget. It's been more than fifty years since I learned it. I married a woman who knew it. I thrilled when my daughters learned it. And now my grandchildren know it, and the youngest one is two. The song is "Jesus Loves Me." It has been around for many years, and has inspired many to base their faith on the simple, yet profound claim, that Jesus does, indeed love us, for the Bible so tells us. I thought of this song because of what today's text speaks about; there are some great, unexplainable days when the glory of God, Heaven itself, surround us and we just are blessed by it; and then there are "those days," when words defy the pain and suffering that may come our way. Paul speaks positively about the grace of God; that unexplainable free gift of God's love and presence in our lives that helps us in whatever sort of day we may be having. Paul begins with this mysterious declaration that he heard about fourteen years ago that stayed with him about a man who experienced heaven and saw and heard things that he could not share. Paul cannot explain it, but he does say that what he can explain is that in his life, he experienced revelations, such as experiencing the resurrected Christ in his call to ministry, and he also shares what is a common expression, "a thorn in the flesh," which means that Paul also experienced a pain or suffering that one endures. What was Paul's actual physical affliction is not known, though many have had their theories about it. All Paul knew is that even though he prayed three times to ask that it be removed from him, Jesus answered his requests with a truth, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." Paul has a ready list of things he has endured, and that list may be similar to ones you and I have gone through: "weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

This passage reaffirms a theme for Christian living; in all things Christ is with us. In the good or bad, Christ's strength is that which sees us through. What we may see as our weakness, through it, in trusting Christ, we are strong. In our times of being insulted for the sake of Christ; we received peace and calm, and we no longer react as the world would expect. Through hardships or persecutions or even calamities, all for the sake of our work and ministry in Christ Jesus, whenever we feel weakest, that is precisely when Christ makes us stronger.

What have you been experiencing in your life? Do you feel like you're almost at the point of giving up? Don't! Turn it over to Jesus and remember the words of the song, "Jesus loves me, this I know; for the Bible tells me so; little ones to Him belong, they are weak, but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me, Yes, Jesus loves me, Yes, Jesus loves, the Bible tells me so."

PRAYER: Amazing God, I celebrate and thank You for the love You have shared with me. I especially thank You on this day for the strength that only You can provide even during times when we think we are beyond help. Bless us in whatever we may be facing, and be glorified by Your strength; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde