Friday, February 09, 2018

I Am the Gate

Image from pinterest.com

So again Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep...I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. (John 10:7, 9)

There was a period of time in my life when my grandfather Carlos, lived on a ranch between Riviera and Falfurrias.  To go and visit him, meant that I, as the oldest, had to get down, and open the gate.  It was never locked, but it was a wide gate to allow truck and tractors to get through.  I would undo the chain, and swing the gate open.  My dad would drive our car through, and I would again secure the gate, run to the car and get in.  I understood what the gate was for; protection agains the cattle from getting out, though they'd have to manage the cattle guard on the ground by the gate.  I would fear those seconds outside the car opening and closing a gate; my mind raced as to what could be "out there" while I was unprotected by the car, but once in I was again "safe."

In Jesus' day, there were two kinds of enclosures for the protection of the flocks.  One was the enclosure in the towns jointly owned by all shepherds where a large gate with a lock secured the door and only the shepherd had a key.  Once in, the flock was safe and secure from any possible harm from any predators.  The other was found out in the country while the flocks were out grazing.  The enclosure out there had no gate.  The sheep would be forced into the enclosure and at night the shepherd himself would lay down at the entrance, with his body becoming the gate.  Any predator would have to go through the shepherd to get in.

Jesus declares another of His "I am" statements in this passage, "I am the gate for the sheep...I am the gate.  Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture."  The safety and protection from all life, both here and beyond, is found in Him.  We enter into a relationship with Jesus and into the safety of His very being.  He is the door.  While we abide in Jesus and let Jesus abide in us, nothing nor anyone can come against us.  He has given us salvation and full protection and provision.  Why should we be afraid?

PRAYER:  Loving Shepherd, allow me to enter into You in Your name.  I want You to be my Lord and Savior; the Gate of life, the gate that leads into abundant life.  Keep me and mine safe from all harm; let us not want for anything, for I pray in Your strong name, Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Lead someone to the Gate with promises of safety and salvation today!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Requests and Updates:  Dear friend: Today in Dallas, Texas, Laura Lopez Silva undergoes a very delicate brain surgery.  It will be performed by one of the most renowned neurosurgeons in the world, yet the dangers of such a surgery are present; please pray that all go according to plan and Laura receive the healing she needs.  Pray for her husband, Johnny, our campus minister in San Antonio, and their family.  Please pray for Joseph Latham, who continues in ICU in an induced coma.  He has had slight improvements, then slight declines.  Pray for Crystal, his wife, and for all who are praying for him.  Join me in praising God for little James Hisey's return home!  He was able to be in home yesterday after his surgery and scare the other night.  God is good!  Nellie and I have been very blessed in having Adabelle Grace Garcia with us this week.  Our youngest two year old granddaughter returns home today at noon with her dad.  Pray for a safe trip home to Mission, TX.  Pray for us as we are already sad at not having that precious baby around.  We'll miss her smile and laugh. May the Lord bless you and keep you.  Have a safe weekend and may you find time to worship the Lord in the church of your choice.