Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Look, Up in the Sky!  It's God!

Image from politicaltheology.com

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, ‘As for me, I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.’ God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.’God said to Noah, ‘This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.’ (Genesis 9:8-17)

Dear Reader, what a dilemma!  Should I wish you a Happy Ash Wednesday and a Happy Valentine's Day?  I'll do both, though many see Ash Wednesday as a sad day; but it doesn't have to be!  It's the start of the Lenten Journey as we seek to better understand why Jesus came, why He suffered and died, and then celebrate the happiest of days, His Resurrection on Easter Sunday.  I pray God's blessings on you this day.  I urge you to take up something helpful and spiritual as you journey.  I will quickly add that reading what the Roman Catholic leaders were saying yesterday about not yielding to chocolates and steak on this day...  It's up to you; what makes you more spiritual?

Here's one thing that should make you spiritual or at least think along the spiritual lines:  God and God's might.  The passage for this coming Sunday goes along with Jesus' baptism, the use of water in God's plan for humanity, and it is right to read the story of the closing of the flood when the ark came to rest on dry ground and Noah and his family worshipped the Lord God.  It is God doing the talking and it is God who establishes this covenant with all of the earth, everyone included, no one, nor any one thing excluded.  God says that never again will flood waters destroy all the earth.  Yes, we still keep getting floods and sadly, many have died, but God's intention is not to destroy the entire earth by water.  And as a sign of that promise God set a bow in the sky.  Notice the original language does not say rainbow; it says bow.  It is to remind us of God's great power to destroy or protect.  The imagery God wants us to have is that of an actual bow as in bow and arrow, the weapon of the day which was used to kill and to protect; it was a sign of might.  God puts all of His might behind our wellbeing.

As we start a 40 day journey towards Easter, let's be reminded of God's greatness and our need for God.  The theme has been surrender, and so as we begin Lent let us surrender to the Lord all those things that serve only to weaken us, and let us take up those things that can make us stronger.

PRAYER:  Loving Father, as my friend begins their journey of Lent, bless them in a rich way.  Make our hearts, minds, and spirits be completely open to that which can bless and magnify Your love.  Grant us a deeper appreciation for Jesus and all He stands for.  And remind us of Your might to protect us.  And we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Dear one, let God bless you today to be a blessing to others!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Request:  Please continue to pray for Joseph Latham, who continues in ICU with complications from the flu.  He is in an induced coma and shows some improvement, then will go down in health.  His wife, Crystal continues at his side and both need our prayers.  Pray for his healing and deliverance from this that he is suffering.  Prayers for Bill Weaver who was not feeling well yesterday.  He is in hospice care and needs our prayers.  Prayers for the loved ones still mourning the recent passing of loved ones.  Yesterday as I took communion to shut-ins I remembered Jane Boothe and her family; may God continue to bless and strengthen them.  And whatever your need, may the Lord bless YOU!