Friday, February 16, 2018

I Am The Good Shepherd

Image from pinterest.com

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. ‘I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. (John 10:10-15)

Dear Friend, I am praying this be a day of hope and new beginnings in all endeavors for you and your dear ones.  My Friday devotional for this season has been to share Jesus' "I am" statements in ways that help us better understand what Jesus was saying to us and our situations. I pray God's peace would be with you.

As Nellie and I were returning home from a hospital visit in San Antonio, our faithful GPS takes us off I-10 at the first Seguin exit and back some beautiful country roads to get to our house.  Many of the places have livestock and it's always a blessing to see the assortment of animals that are raised around here.  In Jesus' time and even before, you could not go very far without seeing and hearing sheep.  It was like the national animal of Israel in those day; nothing official of course, but everyone either owned, worked for, or had someone in their family who depended on sheep.  The lamb has a special place in God's scripture including being the animal of choice for sacrifice.  It would be the life of a lamb that would be given in the place of the family or individual offering up a sacrifice to God.  And the prophets spoke of the day that the Lamb of God would once and for all die for our sins.  We know now that the Lamb of God is Jesus, the Son of God.  And while on the earth, Jesus spoke of lambs and shepherds.  In this I Am statement, Jesus makes the declaration that He is the Good Shepherd.  It was well known that a shepherd would go to any lengths to protect his flock.  A good shepherd spent time with the flock and would talk to them and the sheep would come to know his voice, and while in town where most flocks shared a community fold, it would be the voice of their shepherd that would alert them to leave with him as they would go and graze for the day.  On those occasions where they had to overnight, corrals had been set up with no gate, and the shepherd would lay down across the opening as the gate to the flock, doing whatever he needed to make sure every one of his sheep were fine.  Jesus spoke in Luke 15 of the lost sheep and how that shepherd did all he could to find it and return it home.  

As Jesus says to you and me that He is the Good Shepherd, we find in Him all that was described in the 23rd Psalm and more.  "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul, he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.  Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."  This was the psalm of presidents and generals, soldiers and civilians; believers and nonbelievers have been blessed by this strong words.  My prayer for you dear one, is that you would find comfort in simply saying and believing, "Jesus is my Shepherd."

What more could we ask for?

PRAYER:  Loving God, You are our Shepherd and we claim all that is for us through Jesus our Good Shepherd.  I pray that this dear reader lack for nothing, rest in You, be led by You, restored by You.  Even though their journey may not be along that what they wished for, You are with them so remove fear and doubt from their hearts and minds, and bring comfort to their souls.  May Your goodness and mercy be ours; grant us the blessings of this life in abundance and a life that never ends.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be a shepherd today with your words and lead them to Christ.

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUESTS AND UPDATES:  Last night we had our monthly prayer service at FUMC-Gonzales and we prayed for many.  Please remember Cliff Bryant and his medical needs.  He will be having surgery on March 1st up in Nebraska where he and wife Jamie live.  Prayers for Joe Britt Hindman, who is undergoing medical exams.  Prayers for Rev. Michael Dobbs, who has a blocked kidney thus his trip from Mathis to San Antonio two nights ago.  Continued prayers for Joseph Latham and his healing. We lift up our prayers for the families of those 17 killed in the Florida school; prayers for our nation and its need to stop this violence.  And prayers for one another.