Saturday, February 03, 2018

I Am the Light of the World

Image from dailyverses.net

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

There are those who thrive in darkness.  Jesus spoke of those and said that their deeds would be one day revealed.  Darkness allows a cover for mischief and evil.  Most crimes happen at night.  I will never forget the first motion sensor night I encountered.  I was going to visit a home and as I got almost to the porch their light came on.  It took me by surprise and I knew the people were at home.  They were not.  As I was leaving, the light turned off.  I had to try it.  I walked back towards the home, and viola the light was back on. Hmm, I thought, this is good.  Had one tried to come and break into this house the light would have startled them and made them run.

Jesus speaks this truth of His being the light of the world immediately after His encounter with those who had caught a woman in adultery.  They sought her immediate death.  Jesus intervened and said, "Let anyone among who who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."  Ouch.  Those honest in the crowd had to think and realize immediately they were not without sin.  Then, Jesus wrote something on the ground.  And many have speculated that Jesus was writing down the sins of those in the crowd.  Ouch again!  One by one, the people dispersed.  Soon only the woman and Jesus were alone.  Jesus then tells the woman, "Go your way and from now on do not sin again."

It's after this that Jesus addresses the problem of sin.  Sins can be committed in broad daylight, but it causes darkness to fall upon those who commit them.  Jesus speaks to us all by saying, we need not live in darkness but in light, because He is the light of the world.  We never need walk in darkness again.  We indeed have the light of life.

PRAYER:  Loving Father, help me to walk out of the darkness and into Your light and love.  Forgive me my sins which I've tried to hide in the darkness of my soul, remove them and cast them into the deepest part of the sea.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Prepare for a great day of worship be it today or tomorrow.  Find a place to worship God with other believers!

Blessings!

Eradio Valverde