Monday, April 16, 2018

Been Snatched by a Wolf? Get a Better Shepherd!

Image from agnusday.org

‘I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.’ (John 10:11-18)

Dear Friend, here's hoping you had a great weekend and found time to worship the Lord in a way that gave Him thanks for all the blessings God has shared with you! I pray today's devotional will be but one of many blessings that awaits you this day, and all this week is my prayer.

Imagine if the sheep could choose a shepherd; what would they think? If they had a checklist based on the 23rd Psalm (which will be our Thursday text), would they check off: Leads me to still water? Check. Green pastures provided? Check. The main question: Does this shepherd love me and protect me or is this one a hired hand? Gulp. Have you made a decision to make Jesus your Good Shepherd? Do you sometimes feel as if a wolf, or worse, is chasing you, trying to snatch you? If you haven't made a choice for shepherd, one will be appointed for you - and you won't like the choice! Choose Jesus, and here's why:

Our good shepherd is Jesus. He meets all the requirements and checks all the boxes. Jesus laid down His life for you and me. Jesus never ran away, and when we call to Him, no wolf can come and snatch us away. Jesus knows us and calls us by our name; we know Jesus' voice. Jesus, while having the power to save Himself, still chose to die for us and to save us from sin and death. Can you beat that? And the answer is no. Thanks be to God!

PRAYER: Loving Father, grant to us the blessings of the Lord Jesus on us; we seek to be sheep, obedient and fruitful sheep to the tasks asked of us by Jesus. Grant us strength for today; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Don't make a BAAd choice of shepherds!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST: For 11 year old Trinity Good, battling a brain tumor and Hodgkins disease. Pray for her healing. For Col. Bill Weaver, battling a cancer that seems to be winning. May God's comfort and peace be with him and loved ones. Pray for one another; God's blessings for a great week for each of you!