Monday, April 23, 2018

Live in Jesus

Image from agnusday.org

‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. (John 15:1-8)

Good day dear Friend! May this find you and me ready for today and all that the week may hold for us! May the words of our Lord grant us more strength, power, and peace to live out our faith.

This passage is about connectedness. It's about being connected to Jesus and how necessary that is. As I was reflecting on this passage, I thought about times I have been at a grocery store or somewhere in public and I see a church member; there's that moment of "I know you!," a smile (usually) and a word or two of greeting. My wife as a teacher went through that as well, usually the student would smile, turn to her/his mom and then point to Nellie and say something along the lines, "That's my teacher!" That is being connected. A deeper connection is with our Lord. He knew life is at times tough. There come moments we don't want in our lives and we face them, we grieve, sob, say things we don't want to; or we can face them knowing we don't face them alone. One cannot get more connected than being a grape on a vine. And no better vine on which to grow and bear fruit than Jesus. And then Jesus adds the words, "Abide in me as I abide in you." More modern language says, "Live in me as I live in you." If we have given our heart to Jesus it came with the invitation for Jesus to live in our lives. The truth is where Jesus says, "because apart from me you can do nothing." I can't begin to list the times I have done something or received something with Jesus on my side. Apart from Him I would have done nothing and received nothing. The major blessings in my life came through prayers of faith and my willing to trust Jesus to provide all that I needed. I married at the right time, though my grandma thought it was getting a little too late; God provided the right wife. My education was provided at the right time for me to enter ministry just as God had asked. Our daughters' births were just as we had wanted. Some sermons have blessed people when I thought I had failed in delivering what God had asked. And people have come to faith in Jesus through something He allowed me to say or share.

Living in Jesus will bring us much fruit; apart from Jesus will make us worry like the sheep above about some branches being thrown in the fire. We avoid that be staying connected.

Dear One, stay connected with Jesus. It starts with devotional time like you're doing now. Throughout the day, share think-prayers as you face challenges or obstacles. Spend time reading your Bible; read a book or commentary on God's word; find time to worship the Lord through prayer and other ways, and you will be not only connected, but blessed!

PRAYER: Loving Father, thank You for being the vine-grower. I ask that I might live in Jesus and be connected to You. I seek to be faithful and fruitful. May this week be a glorious week that blesses You and those who need blessing. This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Live in Jesus and the moments will be wonderful!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST: Our prayers for Ms. Betty Sample, who fell on Saturday and was facing surgery yesterday or today. Pray for her healing and comfort. Our continued prayers for Rev. Harry Kahl and his hospitalization. May the Lord bring healing to our brother. Pray for one another; bless the Lord with joyful kindness.