Thursday, April 19, 2018

What An Awesome Shepherd We Have!

Image from dreamstime.com

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. (Psalm 23 King James Version)

Dear Friend, I pray this finds you doing well.  I pray this ancient psalm speak to your heart today like never before, as it has mine.  I remember having to memorize this psalm as a boy in Spanish.  I had to recite it often to my parents and I suppose Sunday school (remember Sunday school?) as well.  Countless have been the times I have read this to patients in hospitals, or to mourners in funeral services.  My mentor pastor, The Rev. Jose Galindo used to say each time he read this in a funeral or memorial service, "This is the psalm of presidents and generals; it spoke to their hearts, may it speak to ours as well."  And indeed, one can only imagine the relief these words would bring to a president with the stress of that job or a general in the thick of battle or in the wee hours leading to war.

Let's look at this psalm with new eyes.  Not a month ago, Nellie and I and a group of dedicated Christian leaders whom I now consider dear friends, were gazing at the Judean Wilderness.  My thoughts were on Jesus' temptation and then our professor guide, Dr. Jack Beck said that this was also the setting for the 23rd Psalm.  It changed my entire outlook on the idyllic photos I had seen of lush, green pastures, with not a hill in sight, maybe one added as a backdrop; this was the wilderness as you can see in the above photo.  The job of a shepherd took on a new meaning.  Considering the psalm from the viewpoint of a lamb, it speaks an awesomeness to the responsibilities that shepherd has for the flock.  Providing and protecting are keys to the job.  The lamb, we, say, "God is my shepherd, God provides everything!  We have nothing more to desire, for God has taken care of everything!"  As we survey the rugged terrain, the shepherd knows where the green pastures are and once there, we get to rest.  Think of laying where you can both rest and eat.  Then, the shepherd leads us to drink cool, refreshing, life-giving water; and the trek begins again, the sheep and us seeing this as God leading us in the right direction with the right purpose, righteousness if you will; all because His name is God.  Yes, there are dangers; the Message version calls it Death Valley; this ancient version says it pretty plainly as well:  Death's shadow is cast around us - but bring it on!  We are not afraid nor alone!  God is with us!!  God has the gear to protect us and guide us safely away from harm.  Rod and staff; one to drive away, the other to rescue; God is prepared.  

The table is set; we're ready to eat!  How many times have we heard that and think back to times when our grandmothers and mothers were there to say these words to us; now our spouse has taken those duties or we have, and that is a call to celebration, to a time of renewal; come and eat.  How about come and eat in the presence of those or those things that seek to harm or destroy us?  A banquet where cancer is defeated, yes, even by death, sadness but triumph is ours; God is here!  The meal ends with an anointing; we give thanks to God and God gives thanks for us, yes, you, dear reader! Our cup runneth over, and our celebration hymn is "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life."  

We're home when we're with God; all our days.  Forever.

PRAYER:  Loving Father, thank You for timeless words.  Thank You for the strength and comfort we need at time moment and as our day proceeds.  Grant us grace to share comfort with those in need.  Again, we pray for the peace and pace that only You can provide.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Smile, you're a sheep in God's flock; live like it!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUESTS:  Please be in prayer for Ms. Belle Witt who was in ICU at Gonzales Hospital.  For Nate Pennington, ill at home.  Prayers for continued  recovery for Barry Boothe.  Prayers for you and me!  Pray for one another.  Love one another!