Monday, April 02, 2018

No Jesus, Know Fear; Know Jesus, No Fear

Image by caitlinvalverde

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.’ When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’ But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord.’ But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.’ A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you.’ Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.’ Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’Jesus said to him, ‘Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.’ Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name. (John 20:19-31)

Dear Friend,  Happy Easter!  Yes, it's still Easter!  And when can we stop celebrating the power of God to resurrect Jesus and to give us victory over sin and death? If I left you wondering, Eastertide ends on May 20th.

Today's passage deals with what the Risen Christ did while He was still on the earth in HIs bodily form.  This passage has Jesus returning back to the Upper Room and tying up some loose ends.  It is very powerful to note that He first brings a word of peace.  Jesus knew they were still hurting and grieving His death.  The word of comfort needed by those mourning the loss of a loved one is peace.  And if Jesus gives you peace, you have peace.  He says it twice.  After saying it the first time, Jesus showed them his hands and his side; then He says again, "Peace be with you."  Then the authority they needed to continue His work: "As the Father has sent me, so I send you."  Then, a breath from Jesus; the giving of the Holy Spirit.  Note also the authority and power Jesus has shared with them:  "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."  And Jesus leaves.  Meanwhile, the story mentions that of the 11 present, one of them was missing.  Thomas.  So, when Tommy finally comes back, they tell him, "We have seen the Lord."  Nope.  Don't believe it.  "Unless I see the mark of the nails in His hands, and put my finger inn the mark of the nails and my hand in His side, I will not believe."  A week later, back in the Upper Room again, and Jesus shows up, and again, the same message: "Peace be with you."  Jesus turns to Thomas and addresses his doubt. Thomas, just in seeing the Lord, exclaims, "My Lord and my God!"  He believed.  Jesus asked, "Have you believed because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."  

We have seen Jesus at work in so many ways, starting with our own lives.  We have not seen Jesus physically like Thomas and the other ten, but we believe.  So, we are blessed!  We should , however, share Jesus with others, for we have the authority of faith to go and do as Jesus did; share the Good News with all people.  Notice that the passage and book of John end with the words that we should believe.  And believe we do.  What follows should be our obedience to make new disciples.  I shared the above photo of our youngest granddaughter, Adabelle Grace Garcia because of the expression on her face.  Every time I got up to say something in worship, she would demand that they pick her up so she could see me.  She loves that I wear my hat when I'm outside and when she walked into the church and saw a number of cowboy hats on the rack and saw me without mine, "Asked why did they make Grandpa take off his hat?"  She was also able to receive Communion from me.  And as I served her I prayed she would become a new disciple and accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior. I was blessed by the presence of all of our daughters, our sons-in-law, and our five little ones. Blessed to have served Communion to them all, receiving hugs from Liam and Sarita as they received the body and blood of our Lord! 

Dear one, CHRIST IS RISEN!  Christ is risen indeed!  

PRAYER:  Loving Father, be at work in our lives.  Strengthen our faith and bless our work.  Keep us ever busy in sharing the Good News with all the world.  Ours is the victory over sin and death and we walk with You.  We pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Let the Risen Christ be seen in you today (& all days!)

Eradio Valverde