Monday, April 30, 2018

Make Yourself at Home in Christ's Love!

Image from agnusday.org

"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done - kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.  "I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.  "You didn't choose me, remember; I chose you, and put you in the world to bear fruit, fruit that won't spoil. As fruit bearers, whatever you ask the Father in relation to me, he gives you. "But remember the root command: Love one another. (John 15:9-17 The Message)

Dear Friend, may this find you ready for a new work week, having been blessed by the weekend.  May this time of devotion be a time of renewal and refreshing for our souls.  Jesus has our back!

I once had a friend who made himself at home with Nellie and I.  He came down to visit us and spent the entire day with us.  What I loved about his visit was that he said yes to everything we proposed and offered.  Most will ponder a bit, or may say, "I'm good, but thanks anyway" but not this guy.  Would you like some coffee?  Yes!  Coffee would be great!  "Would you like to join us for lunch?"  I'd love to.  How about some tv?  Sure!  And it went on that way until he left.  He left us with smiles on our faces.  I have prayed to have that much comfort and ease when I'm with my friends .

Jesus, in this modern version of this passage says we are to make ourselves at home in Christ's love; because that's how much He loves us!  The love that blesses and refreshes.  And, Jesus further says, we should make ourselves at home in His love.  A relaxing, releasing sort of love much in the way we make ourselves in our own homes.  The old saying, there is no place like home, is true.  For many of us home is where we find freedom to be ourselves; and if we are believers in Christ Jesus, we are free to be like Him. We know we are loved and welcomed; and more so in Christ:  He loves and welcomes us.   In Christ we have a loving, listening ear.  We're free to share our worries and concerns with Him.  We're free to love Him and to know that He loves us.  And of the commands Jesus has shared, we are to love one another in the way that Jesus loves us.  We are to be compassionate, forgiving, grace-filled and grace-full towards others.  We should welcome and love all.  And, if need be, "put your life on the line for your friends."  One thing I know about being at home, is that I will protect my family and my home, as well as any guests that I may have welcomed.  We don't have that worry in Christ, other than to know that if need be, we should be willing to lay down our lives for our friends.  You and I were chosen by Jesus to be His friends and to be at home in His love.  What more could we possibly ask?

PRAYER:  Loving God, please make me feel at him in Christ Jesus' love.  May I strive to make others at home in my love and care as well.  This I pray in Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be a Friend to Jesus and all of Jesus' friends!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUEST & UPDATES:  Please be in prayer for Deannie Ploeger as she undergoes knee replacement replacement surgery (yes, they're removing the first replacement with another one).  Please continue praying for Debbie Robinson, who today may go to a rehab center after hip surgery.  Pray for one another.  Bless one another.  And, yes, love one another.