Wednesday, March 20, 2019

An Invitation to Abundant Life!

Image from wordparfait.com

Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you that have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; listen, so that you may live. I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David. See, I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples. See, you shall call nations that you do not know, and nations that do not know you shall run to you, because of the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has glorified you. Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake their way, and the unrighteous their thoughts let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them,  and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:1-9)

Good day dear Friend!  I pray it is not "one of those days" for you, as it seems to be for me.  My older computer was off this morning so I went to my newer laptop and tried to move the large screen display to it, which I did (older eyes need such things you know, or you will soon know!), but I could not get an external keyboard work on the laptop.  After several tries I gave up, and now am typing on the laptop's keyboard trying not to be distracted by the smaller laptop screen!  Pray for me!

Imagine getting in the mail (remember snail mail?) a fancy invitation.  The envelope is unlike any you've seen in many years, the quality of it is out of this world, some sort of exotic linen, and the handwriting is perfect calligraphy and it is addressed to you!  You open it carefully with fear of tearing such a fine envelope to shreds, but you find it opens without much fuss.  In it are the words in all caps, YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO ABUNDANT LIFE.  At first you think it may be a new church in town and you're about to discard it, but then you read on.  In it is detailed offers for that which you need most, at no cost!  You think again, how does a new church get that kind of money so fast?  We struggle with capital campaigns and stewardship sermons - and these guys and gals are offering free stuff.  But you keep reading, and it is not a new church per se, it's an invitation for you to be the Church and to rejoice in what the God of the Church offers to you!

This was what Isaiah heard from God and that which he wrote down as our passage for today.  To the people of God it was a welcome message; after years of disobedience and wanting to wander away from God, God is wanting them back.  The God of hope shares a powerful message of hope to His people.  Every need addressed!  "Thirst?  We have water!  You hungry?  Come and eat; I'm buying!  Wine and milk?  Sure!  Free!  You won't need money for that which does not satisfy!"  The invitation continues, "Eat what is good (you're thinking kale and other leafy green things, but wait!) Delight yourselves in rich food (God's words, not mine!). Open your ears and come to me; I will share with you words of life.  I'm asking you to be my partner in this sacred contract that I started with your ancestor David; the terms of that pact are still in effect, and even today, you shall call out to nations as my witnesses, and even nations that do not know you shall run to you, because they will see that God is at work in you and has made your name great!  But come to know me now; don't put it off; call me while I am near to you.  If you're thinking wicked thoughts, give those up, and not just for Lent, for good!  Return home to me.  Ask for mercy from me, and you will receive it; for my pardon is like the life I am offering to you, abundant!  You think things that are not my thoughts, nor are the ways you've been living the way I want you to live...  Just as the sky is beyond your reach, and how often have you tried to touch a cloud?  In that same way that they're high, so are my ways higher than yours, and my thoughts much higher than yours."  Boom.

What an invitation.  Can you turn it down?  Sadly, some do.  And for foolish reasons (re-read the closing part of that invitation!).  But dear one, do not turn down God's invitation to live abundantly.  There is no better way to live.  Choose God's way as your way.  His offer of life as your life.  And what a difference it will make!

PRAYER:  Loving God, I accept Your invitation.  I want to live an abundant life.  I want to rejoice in the eternal and good things You have offered to me.  I repent of my ways, and ask You guide me to Yours.  May my thoughts become Your thoughts, so that I may think of You and be guided by You; this I pray in Christ Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Share your invitation with someone who's not quite living abundantly yet!

Eradio Valverde