Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Stand With & For Jesus; Or You'll Fall for Anything!

Image from hereadstruth.com

Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us. For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even with tears. Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. He will transform the body of our humiliation so that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables him to make all things subject to himself.Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved. (Philippians 3:17-4:1)

May this be a Happy Tuesday for you, dear Friend!  May it be a day in which you are encouraged and you can be an encourager for others.  May we take time today to see how others are really doing.  Mention your appreciation and need for them.  I share this because last night, the second suicide took place in Gonzales in one week.  Our pastor, Rev. Matt Pennington was asked by Sheriff's deputies to accompany them to the scene.  Prayers for the family affected, for our pastor, and for all who are depressed or sad; may we be the spark of hope that someone needs to hear today.

I can't wait to travel where Paul traveled.  Here we get a glimpse of the strong conviction that he had in Jesus and in the way Jesus had allowed him to respond.  It's not everyone who can say, "Imitate me."  People, especially children, always well. I love pens.  And I usually choose shirts with pockets so that I can have a pen at the ready.  Why?  Who knows when someone might approach me with a check made out to me that I have to endorse?  Just kidding!  But, when our grandson Liam lived with us, very early in his life, he was wearing a shirt with a pocket and he had found one of my pens and there it was!  He was imitating grandpa!  I was touched by it.  I silently prayed that he would imitate the good that I strive to do.  Paul encourages us to live a life of example as followers of the cross of Christ, not as enemies.  "For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ."  It's sad to know that even today there are those who hate Jesus and His cross.  They mock it and reject it.  Paul, and we, know their end.  We don't rejoice in that, it should sadden us and make us respond with urgency to save them from such destruction.  Paul says these are guided by earthly things; "their god is their belly; and their glory is their shame; their minds are set on earthly things."  Instant gratification, pleasure at the ready; not great motivations for living, but there are those who are motivated by those very things.  Years ago, I really believed that late-night infomercials were true indicators of what motivated us, and there were two major groups:  Getting as skinny as we could, and as rich as we could.  Most of those commercials were geared towards one or the other.  And have things really changed?  Now they're pop-ups on our computers.

Listen to Paul's insistence on our heavenly citizenship.  One of the perks, besides an eternity with God and God's love, is that our heavenly body that Paul calls "the body of our humiliation" will be transformed into a body of His glory.  Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, he continues, "Stand firm in the Lord."  The title I changed a bit because it rings true.  If we stand with and for Jesus, we can overcome any obstacle in God's manner; if we don't stand with Jesus or for Him, we easily fall for anything.  Stand firm!

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, our prayers begin with asking Your comfort and peace with the family members of those two suicide victims in Gonzales.  Be with anyone anywhere contemplating an end to their life.  May You point them out to us and may we share a word of hope and encouragement.  Bring us wisdom, bring us courage; help us to stand for and with Jesus, our Lord, in Whose name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Stand firm enough to love those who need love!

Eradio Valverde

Here is the latest of my studies in Mark, done right before I wrote this.  Please view it and share it with someone who might need a blessing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyI6xsB2FA&t=20s