Thursday, March 28, 2019

Raise the Roof for God!

Image from missionventureministries.wordpress.com

Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be - you get a fresh start, your slate's wiped clean. Count yourself lucky - God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him. When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up.  Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God." Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared.  These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched.  God's my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck.  Let me give you some good advice; I'm looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight:  "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule that needs bit and bridle to stay on track." God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around.Celebrate God. Sing together - everyone! All you honest hearts, raise the roof! (Psalm 32 The Message)

Happy Thursday, dear Friend!  I thought it fair to share this short psalm also in NRSV form:

Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.  For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.   Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord," and you forgave the guilt of my sin.  Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you; at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them. You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.  I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you.  Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.  Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

This latter version has more bullet points than the modern version, but still conveys the same message:  God is awesome to forgive us our sins, wipe our slate completely clean, lift our spirits and strengthen us for the day and its challenges.

I smile whenever I see that my slate has been wiped clean.  A vivid memory I have from first grade was whenever our teacher had to leave the room, she would leave this twice-retained boy in charge.  Which meant he held the chalk.  And holding the chalk meant that he could "take names."  And that meant if you laughed or talked while he was holding the chalk, there went your name on the board.  I don't remember the punishment for having your name on the board other than the sheer fright of having Mrs. Garcia mad or disappointed in me.  And yes, I did have my name on the board at least once, and oh the joy that filled my soul whenever she came back, look at the board, grimace, and then wipe the slate clean.  In the same way, God will wipe the slate clean for all who will confess and repent of their sins.

The image of today shows Jesus holding a little boy's hand.  His name is not on the board, but it is in Jesus' heart, as is yours and mine.  The promise made in that verse should be our guiding verse for today:  Jesus will instruct us and teach us in the way we should go; Jesus' counsel will guide us and His loving eye will be upon us.

That, dear one, is Good News!

PRAYER:  Loving God, how awesome are the words shared with us by Your precious and living word.  Bless me in the needs I have shared before You and be glorified.  Guide my steps with the pace and the peace that comes from You.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show someone how joyful you are because your name is not on the board!

Love you guys!

Eradio Valverde