Thursday, November 20, 2008

THE GATE TO YOUR LIFE


God of all people, smile down upon the needs of this dear reader right now. I ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

My first Bible was a King James Bible, which I still have. It was given to me in 1961 when I was confirmed as a member in The Methodist Church in Kingsville, Texas, at El Buen Pastor (The Good Shepherd) Methodist Church. My pastor was The Rev. Refugio Castro. One of the first verses I remember wanting to learn was the one from Revelation, chapter three, verse twenty: Jesus speaking saying, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me. Following our theme of Jesus being the gate, we control the gate into our heart and thus into our lives. While Jesus offers to lead us out of our corrals or prisons, we'll stay out only as long as we follow Him and as long as we allow Him in.

I remember thinking this was an awesome verse and I could see that famous Warner Sallman painting that hung somewhere in our little church. You will remember that Sallman also painted one of the most famous of the Jesus pictures where Jesus seems to be posing for his picture to be painted.

With Jesus at the door seeking us, how can we feel if not wanted and loved? Imagine how we would feel with Jesus inside? "Supping" with us? The fullness of friendship is allowing someone in to our homes and inviting them to eat and be our guests. Jesus desires more than being our guest; He desires to be our friend, Lord, and Savior.

Won't you invite Him in to your life through your "gate?"

PRAYER: Loving Shepherd, enter my life today. I know You have stood outside long enough and I open the door to my heart and my life so that You might come in and have fellowship and friendship with me. Let my life radiate Your presence with me! I ask this in Jesus' precious name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde