Tuesday, November 18, 2008

OUR GOING OUT AND OUR COMING IN


God of peace and blessings, pour out a generous gift of peace and blessing on this gracious reader. In Jesus' Name, amen.

As you arose this morning from bed, what were your thoughts? Did you think of the good awaited you? Did you smell the coffee or food being prepared and think, "I am so blessed to be enjoying a cup of coffee and my favorite cereal?" Or, did you awake and think of the mountain of paperwork on your desk that needed your attention? Worse, did you think, "I'm not looking forward to my 9 o'clock, because she has it out for me!"

David on his campaigns to protect Israel on some mornings awakened not to the smell of coffee or cooking food, but to the sound and sight of his enemey camped around him on the hillside near his camp. His beautiful Psalm of faith as found in Psalm 121 tells that story, "I lift up my eyes to the hills— from where will my help come? 2 My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. 4 He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand. 6 The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. 8 The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore. "

David could see beyond the threat of an enemy ready to trounce him. He knew in Whose hands he found himself and he knew the power of God to protect him. And his closing verse should be our assurance as well, as we leave our home and enter the workplace or treatment center or fellowship area or wherever it may be, God keeps our going out and our coming in, not just this morning but "from this time on and forevermore."

PRAYER: God of watchful eyes and endless strength, bless my going out of my home today into the world. You know the places I need to go and the things I need to do, keep me from harm and danger. Let me be one whose life shows that I follow The Shepherd, the gate of my going out and my coming in. Let me glorify You, I ask in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

---Please keep Alma Lightley in your prayers. She is in hospice care and has taken a turn for the worse. Alma is Darlene Topp's mom. Please keep Darlene and her sister and their families in your prayers as well.