Friday, February 18, 2011

138

Men of a certain age know their number. It's a number they will never forget. Mine was 138. For men born October 25, 1952 in a lottery held for the Selective Service (Draft)in 1971, our number was 138. The military called everyone with numbers 1-125. I missed being drafted by lucky 13. Now, the purpose of this devotional is not to get into a debate about selective service for it is a biblical issue. Re-read the story of Samuel when the people of Israel wanted a king and God said to the folks, If I give you a king one of the first things he will do is to draft your sons and daughters into service for the nation. Of course, the daughters were not necessarily called into military service, yes, Deborah was a fierce and well-respected military fighter and leader, so its roots are biblical. What has impressed me all these years is how men remember their "number."

What other numbers are important to you? 203 was my boyhood home address. 2909 was the number of my second boyhood home. 4115 is the number of my parents' home during my high school years, and I remember a certain phone number even to this day and "she" still marvels that I do! ;) How about 316? You might better remember it in this fashion: 3:16 and usually with the name "John" right in front of it. For those who know the Bible you'll know immediately that it is a reference to one of the greatest messages in history: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish , but have everlasting life." Of all the numbers in your history, never forget 3:16. 10:10 is another one of my absolute favorites and it also comes from John: "The thief cometh not, but for to steal , and to kill , and to destroy : I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." In that verse is all the theology we need to know the great grace of God, we have two to choose from, the one who takes away and destroys completely our lives or the One who came that we might have life and life in abundance.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for knowing my name. I am more than a number to You and You have called me to love You and I am blessed by Your love for me. As I face this day let me do so with that great blessing of joy and peace so that I might be faithful to You. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.