Thursday, February 17, 2011

YOU FOLLOWING THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD?

Loving God of life and light, shine brightly the fullness of life into the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 119:1 You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. 2 You're blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him. 3 That's right - you don't go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set. 4 You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it. 5 Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; 6 Then I'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel. 7 I thank you for speaking straight from your heart; I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. 8 I'm going to do what you tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me. (The Message)

This past week, Nellie and I returned to the place where we honeymooned some 33 years ago. On the 25th it will be exactly 33 years that we went to Disney World for our honeymoon. This time, three of our daughters, two sons-in-law, and two grandchildren came with us, so it was a very special time. One of the stops was the movie tour at Hollywood Studios which takes you to the set of many of the great movies of all time, including one I finally saw in color, The Wizard of Oz. If you've never seen it, here's a spoiler alert: It starts in black and white and then at a certain part it's in full color. Unless you're poor and it stays in black and white, which it did for many years in our house. I'm not complaining, just relating. The part that stayed with me was the instruction for finding the Emerald City; "Follow the yellow brick road!" And on the tour you see the yellow brick road and how it winds away from the Munchkin village. L. Frank Baum, the author of the book was a Methodist and whether the book has any religious significance or not, the message from today's psalm is certainly a worthy one: God provides the path, if we seek it and if we follow it, it is a path of blessings and life. We're free to wander on our own and those of us who have know it usually doesn't lead anywhere worthwhile; we're better off seeking God and sticking close to Him.

What path are you following today? Are you seeking and being guided by God or following your own way?

PRAYER: Loving God, help me seek You today. Let Your path be the steps I follow today. I seek to be obedient and to be trusting of what you do. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde