Monday, February 28, 2011

BEEN ON A RETREAT LATELY?

Loving God of all things, as this dear reader begins the challenges of a busy day, bless and protect them; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from Matthew 17: 1 Six days later, three of them saw that glory. Jesus took Peter and the brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain. 2 His appearance changed from the inside out, right before their eyes. Sunlight poured from his face. His clothes were filled with light. 3 Then they realized that Moses and Elijah were also there in deep conversation with him. 4 Peter broke in, "Master, this is a great moment! What would you think if I built three memorials here on the mountain - one for you, one for Moses, one for Elijah?" 5 While he was going on like this, babbling, a light-radiant cloud enveloped them, and sounding from deep in the cloud a voice: "This is my Son, marked by my love, focus of my delight. Listen to him." 6 When the disciples heard it, they fell flat on their faces, scared to death. 7 But Jesus came over and touched them. "Don't be afraid." 8 When they opened their eyes and looked around all they saw was Jesus, only Jesus. 9 Coming down the mountain, Jesus swore them to secrecy. "Don't breathe a word of what you've seen. After the Son of Man is raised from the dead, you are free to talk." (The Message)

The Christian Church encourages retreats; time spent away from the challenges and knocks of daily life to deepen one's walk with God. The model comes from Jesus and the times He spent away from the crowds and requests. Today's passage is such one retreat. Jesus wants to spend deep time in prayer and brings with Him, Peter, James and John; His inner circle from the disciples. Once on this mountain they saw in Jesus what previously they had only heard: Mentions of glory and the sacredness and awesomeness of God. It was such a profound moment even today we cannot fully understand that moment and still label it as a transfiguration. "Sunlight poured from his face. His clothes were filled with light," are attempts to remember the profoundness of that encounter with God through Jesus that these three had. And what totally blew them away was that they saw and were able to recognize Moses and Elijah as being present with Jesus. It was truly a spiritual event. And if that was not enough they heard from Heaven, a voice that again marks Jesus as God's Son.

What would you have taken away from that time with God? I have a list! 1) God is real. 2) Jesus is the Son of God. 3) Jesus revealed the awesome power of God and God's glory. 4) The dead do live again. 5) Retreats are essential. While you may add more to your list, let me encourage you to take a mini-retreat during this week. It doesn't require mountains or location for that matter, just shut out for a time, the noises and buzzes of daily life. Close your eyes and listen for God. The experience will be a blessing.

PRAYER; Loving God, bless me with wisdom to manage my time so that today or one day this week I may retreat into You. I seek to hear You and to be blessed by You. When I complete my retreat, allow me to charge forward with hope and faith to that which awaits me and my life. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde