Tuesday, February 15, 2011

IS IT ALL ABOUT ME?

God of the ages, bless and protect the life of this dear reader in all they may face today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 1 Corinthians 3: 1 But for right now, friends, I'm completely frustrated by your unspiritual dealings with each other and with God. You're acting like infants in relation to Christ, 2 capable of nothing much more than nursing at the breast. Well, then, I'll nurse you since you don't seem capable of anything more. 3 As long as you grab for what makes you feel good or makes you look important, are you really much different than a babe at the breast, content only when everything's going your way? 4 When one of you says, "I'm on Paul's side," and another says, "I'm for Apollos," aren't you being totally infantile? 5 Who do you think Paul is, anyway? Or Apollos, for that matter? Servants, both of us - servants who waited on you as you gradually learned to entrust your lives to our mutual Master. We each carried out our servant assignment. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered the plants, but God made you grow. 7 It's not the one who plants or the one who waters who is at the center of this process but God, who makes things grow. 8 Planting and watering are menial servant jobs at minimum wages. 9 What makes them worth doing is the God we are serving. You happen to be God's field in which we are working. (The Message)

Ah, the joys of having things our way! There's nothing like it, is there? I can't think of anything more selfish actually. And this was exactly what Paul was dealing with in his churches. As he had started these churches he did so in proclaiming the love of God through Jesus Christ and urging them to be right with God so when the end came, they would all be taken up to Heaven. And for a while, the model of everyone getting along and everyone caring for each other worked well, then came an issue or a disagreement about something. It may have been the worship hour and some thought "church" was too early and some thought church was too late. Or it may have been the covered dish and some felt that some were serving themselves "seconds" their first time through. Okay, it may not have been that way, but what Paul is stressing is to keep the main thing the main thing. We all have a job to do and we all need to serve God, everything else is just details.

What's the main thing distracting you today in serving God? Put all things aside and put God first. Make your life spiritual and it will show!

PRAYER: Loving God, I confess that sometimes I put myself before even You and I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I confess that sometimes I put myself before others and I allow small things to become big things of worry and I'm sorry. Let me begin today by putting You first. Let me put the needs and cares of others before me so that they may know that I belong to You. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde