Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The Absurdity of God!

God Who goes before us and by us, be with this dear reader in this day; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

From 1 Corinthians 1: 18 The Message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness to those hellbent on destruction, but for those on the way of salvation it makes perfect sense. This is the way God works, and most powerfully as it turns out. 19 It's written, I'll turn conventional wisdom on its head, I'll expose so-called experts as crackpots. 20 So where can you find someone truly wise, truly educated, truly intelligent in this day and age? Hasn't God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense? 21 Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb - preaching, of all things! - to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation. 22 While Jews clamor for miraculous demonstrations and Greeks go in for philosophical wisdom, 23 we go right on proclaiming Christ, the Crucified. Jews treat this like an anti-miracle - and Greeks pass it off as absurd. 24 But to us who are personally called by God himself - both Jews and Greeks - Christ is God's ultimate miracle and wisdom all wrapped up in one. 25 Human wisdom is so tinny, so impotent, next to the seeming absurdity of God. Human strength can't begin to compete with God's "weakness." (The Message)

There was a point in my life as a child when after what seemed like thousands of forced Sundays to be in church, it all clicked. I cannot remember my pastor's name nor his message nor the date on which it happened; it was a Sunday is all I remember. His invitation was for us to have a relationship with Jesus, to invite Him into our hearts, and I did. Bells, whistles, fireworks I did not see. I wanted to. I saw no blinding light. It was just a quiet peace for a small child that God was indeed real and God's offer to have a personal relationship through Jesus Christ was accepted and it was mine. I wish I could tell you that I was perfect after that, that I gave up my mischievous ways and was the model son and brother. Jesus was mine is all that I can tell you.

As Paul says it came through preaching and for years I could not explain it. I had the joy, joy, joy down in my heart as the song said. I was a sunbeam for Him, to quote another song. I longed to be in Sunday school every day and wished there had been a way to trade going Monday through Friday at my elementary school for a five-day Sunday school, such was my joy about the things of God. To those whom I shared such thoughts I may have been seen as foolish, especially those who had no time nor desire for Sunday school. To my playground friends my wanting to discuss Sunday's Bible lesson was absurd, who owned a Bible they wanted to know? I did, why don't you? I would ask. The "asburdity of God" has been with me since then and it was that which helped God call me into ordained ministry.

This time of Lent is to grow closer to God in our realization of all that God has done for us. Lent is a time of foolishness for those who don't yet know about God and God's presence and power in our lives, but still we press on knowing that God presses with us.

PRAYER: Loving God may this dear reader, if she or he does not yet know you personally, come to that knowledge soon. May they open their hearts to you and invite You in. You said that You stand at the door and knock; may we always open and receive You in. That I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde