Thursday, March 22, 2012

Youthful Desire

Amazing God of peace and joy, pour out a blessing upon the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Psalm 119: 9 How can a young person live a clean life? By carefully reading the map of your Word. 10 I'm single-minded in pursuit of you; don't let me miss the road signs you've posted. 11 I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won't sin myself bankrupt. 12 Be blessed, God; train me in your ways of wise living. 13 I'll transfer to my lips all the counsel that comes from your mouth; 14 I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches. 15 I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you, I attentively watch how you've done it. 16 I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it. (The Message)

Last night the northern part of our district hosted a laity celebration. At this event we recognize the outstanding leaders and servant leaders of each local church. Many of our churches give out Young Disciple awards and to me that is the most touching, to see children and youth recognized for their Christian service. The first three recepients of this award were little girls and as their district superintendent I get to pose with them and their certicate for a professional photograph. I told each one that I was proud of them and that they should continue to do good work for God.

The psalmist knew all about serving God as a child and youth. This passage is a call to young people to live "clean" lives and to find the right way to live such a life by reading God's word. I like that David is saying through God's word you will find road signs. God's word also provides promises that we can bank so that we can't bankrupt those through our sins. We should pray that God's counsel be ever before us and may true delight come from living a life that is pleasing to God.

PRAYER: Loving God, though my youthful years may be behind me, may my heart yearn to serve and please You nonetheless. I do take this time to pray that more children and youth might come to know You and seek You in ways that encourage others. Bless the children and youth of our communities that our churches might find ways to draw them into relationship with You. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde