Monday, November 02, 2015

Give Your All!

As he taught, he said, "Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets! They devour widows' houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation." He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on." (Mark 12: 38-44)

You have possessions and some possessions possess you. You like being liked. You liked being favored. You like special privileges. So do I. Jesus is teaching about that in this passage. The first part deals with who we are and what we like. Jesus noticed the scribes liked a lot of things. They liked how they dressed, and they likes how they were treated. And they also took advantage of that in the way they treated others. They loved to receive the best, but they took from others all they could. Jesus said their actions were piling up their condemnation.

The second part deals with giving to God. I have shared how my mother taught me how to tithe. My first "paycheck" was for an eleven hour day, at the age of 9, was for one dollar and fifty-cents. I was thrilled to be working at that age in a small grocery store. My mother said that Mr. Chapa would give me a dollar bill and two quarters at the end of my shift at 6 p.m. She said for me to give a quarter back to Mr. Chapa and request two dimes and a nickel and when she picked me up she would explain. I did as was told, and when she drove up to get me, she handed me a church offering envelope and asked me to put in one dime and the nickel. "That's your tithe; that's what belongs to God." "That's all I need to give?" I asked. "No, but it's a start." I thought fifteen cents seems like too little to me, though in those days one could even spend a penny and get something for it. With a quarter one could spend the morning or afternoon in the cool air of a movie theatre. Ten cents to get in, five cents for a soda drink, ten for popcorn. If you had fifteen cents you could even buy a hot dog. My mother taught to give of my first and best.

Here comes the people as Jesus sits by the treasury of the temple, and they are worshiping God with their gifts. Jesus noticed that some rich people put in large sums. The treasury was believed to be made of copper and as coins fell in it, it would make a lot of noise. Some people like to be noisy in their giving. But here comes a widow, known to be poor financially. A woman who had lost her husband to death was left to be cared for by her children if she had any, or by the kindness of others. Women in those days did not work outside of the house. And this widow came and put in two small copper coins, together worth a penny. Jesus calls His disciples and tells them, "Here this poor widow has given to God more than all those who came before her to contribute to the treasury. They came and shared out of their abundance (I read "left overs"); but she has given to God everything she had, even that which she had to live on."

Quite a difference between the attitudes of giving. Most gave out of obligation what they knew they could spare. Yes, some gave of their first and best; but this woman, gave all. She gave everything she had, even that which she would needed to live on. Her faith said that God would provide, and she knew from experience that God had come through all the time. Her faith blessed Jesus. What does our living and giving say about our faith? Are we blessing Jesus?

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, You are the giver of all gifts. Make my faith strong enough to bless You for all You have done and will do in my life. Grant me faith like this widow, who gave her all, even that which she needed to live on, because she knew that You provide. This I ask in the powerful name of Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde