Thursday, November 12, 2015

Happy From the Inside Out!

Keep me safe, O God, I've run for dear life to you. I say to God, "Be my Lord!" Without you, nothing makes sense. And these God-chosen lives all around - what splendid friends they make! Don't just go shopping for a god. Gods are not for sale. I swear I'll never treat god-names like brand-names. My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I'm your choice! You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir! The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I'll stick with God; I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go. I'm happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell - that's not my destination! Now you've got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I'm on the right way. (Psalm 16)

Happy from the inside out! What a feeling! The psalmist, in this version, The Message version of the Bible, sure describes well what every believer should know, the true, deep-down happiness found in the Lord. One finds acceptance, love, shelter, protection, blessing, and countless other things too numerous to list, just from knowing and having a relationship with God. I can try to connect it to a relationship that Nellie and I have with all our grandchildren; we love being with them all, and trying to show that love to them in all the ways we can. As they grow older, we rejoice and think back to what they used to do, and pray that we have life to see them when they mature and bless God with their choices and actions. Just two days ago, we were able to visit our oldest grandchild in San Marcos. She was to be in her first play, and it was a role she auditioned for, and got; Jolly the Elf. She knows that in grandpa she has a sucker for buying her almost anything she wants. Even before we saw her, we stopped at a store for some things for our dog. Given this was Target, Nellie's favorite store, she could not leave the store without a purchase of "something for our baby." Yes, it happens often. When we first entered the store, I saw a white and black faux fur vest that I said, "I bet Sarita would love that." Nellie just smiled. She found what she thought Sarita would like and called our daughter to make sure we had the right sizes. Her mom says, "You know what she'd really, really like? A white and black fur vest." I laughed and said, "I knew it!" We found a sales associate and found out the only one left was on a mannequin and asked if we had checked the size on it. Yes, the right size, off the mannequin and into the cart. The gift made our girl happy on the inside out, and from the outside in. This morning we received a picture of her wearing it, since it is cold enough now to wear.

God does the same things for you and me. God provides just the right blessing we need. But more importantly, a careful read of the psalm says some other things that God does that should bless our day: God has canceled our ticket to hell; it's no longer our destination - our feet are on the right path, the one leading to fullness of life, and life eternal. Smile. This is your blessing! A loving gift from God!

PRAYER: Lord, please see my heart smiling for all You do. I'm happy from the inside out knowing You and from the outside in, in serving You. Thank You! I pray in Jesus' wonderful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde