Wednesday, November 25, 2015

"Watch For It: 'The Time is Coming'"

Image from meredithgould.blogspot.com

"'Watch for this: The time is coming' - God's Decree - 'when I will keep the promise I made to the families of Israel and Judah. 15 When that time comes, I will make a fresh and true shoot sprout from the David-Tree. He will run this country honestly and fairly. He will set things right. 16 That's when Judah will be secure and Jerusalem live in safety. The motto for the city will be, "God Has Set Things Right for Us." (Jeremiah 33:14-16 The Message)

Carly Simon years ago sang a song called "Anticipation." It was used in a ketchup commercial to describe how rich and slow out of the bottle this wonderful condiment took to reach our food. Carly Simon also wrote and sang a song called, "You're So Vain," and for years people wondered who the song was about. One man paid her $500,000 years ago to know who the man was in the song. This year, she said that in her new book, she would reveal who the man was. I told my wife I was buying the book! Then, about a week ago, she revealed in the news, who this man was. It only took me 43 years to know who this man was, that was so vain. In other news: Christ will come again; He came at the first Nativity, and Scripture and our Communion ritual affirms what I just said: Christ will come again.

The awaiting of Christ's arrival is part of the prophet Jeremiah's declaration to God's people, who awaited the fulfillment of God's promise to them. Their cyclic living of being right with God, to not being right with God, took them on an interesting spiritual, political, and historical journey. They needed God was the bottom line, as it is with us. God declares, through the prophet, "I will keep the promise," and then proceeds to give the clues of that fulfillment: A fresh and true shoot from the tree of David. A coming ruler who will rule honestly and fairly. One who will set things right. One who will usher in a time of security and safety, so much so, the motto of the people will be "God Has Set Things Right for Us." And, indeed, God has, through the birth of Jesus Christ, His ministry, His promises and teachings, and the relationship He desires with you and me. A relationship that is a life lived in service that helps in the bringing about safety and security for all people (no exceptions or conditions needed!).

PRAYER: Lord, as I prepare for this Advent Season, prepare my heart to know that You have already come, You will come again; I have but to believe and live a life worthy of Your life and teaching for me. This I ask in Thy Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. If you're traveling today, please be safe, and remember to give thanks for all God has shared with us!

I love and appreciate you!

Eradio Valverde