Monday, November 16, 2015

Jesus is King of Kings!

Image is from iloveheartstudio.com

Pilate went back into the palace and called for Jesus. He said, "Are you the 'King of the Jews'?" Jesus answered, "Are you saying this on your own, or did others tell you this about me?" Pilate said, "Do I look like a Jew? Your people and your high priests turned you over to me. What did you do?" "My kingdom," said Jesus, "doesn't consist of what you see around you. If it did, my followers would fight so that I wouldn't be handed over to the Jews. But I'm not that kind of king, not the world's kind of king." Then Pilate said, "So, are you a king or not?" Jesus answered, "You tell me. Because I am King, I was born and entered the world so that I could witness to the truth. Everyone who cares for truth, who has any feeling for the truth, recognizes my voice." (John 18:33-37 The Message)

Say it loud, and say it proud, Jesus is my King! Most of us reading this, and perhaps saying it out loud right now, have never lived under a king, or queen for that matter. We have elected our leaders, and in this country that can be a kind of messy endeavor; but it's ours and may be the best there is. But to know that one person has absolute rule over your life could be a troubling thing; but in the case of Jesus, it is a comforting thing - Jesus is the King of Kings. In the passage we read today, Pilate is confronting Jesus. It's a Passion story, but it is a universal, always-relevant story, where Pilate, not knowing what to do with Him, has to ask, "Are you the 'King of the Jews'? In re-reading the Gospel of Matthew this week, Nellie and I came across the visit of the Magi, who arrive in the capital city to ask the then-"king" Herod, "Where is He born king of the Jews?" which we all know was the wrong question to the wrong guy. He ordered his wise men to tell him all about this birth, who direct the magi to Bethlehem, and the star took them directly to the child Jesus. Here, yet another king is confronted with the news found in Scripture about One who would be king, and he asked Jesus, "Is it You?" Jesus in turn, asks Pilate, "Are you saying this on your own, or did others tell you this about me?" Pilate asks, "Do I look like a Jew? Your people and your high priest turned you over to me. What did you do?" Pilate's troubled reign in the land of Jews was that he was not a Jew; added to his troubles, the Jewish leaders do not want Jesus alive and so turn Him over to Pilate. Jesus further explains that HIs kingdom is not one easily understood or seen. If Jesus was an earthly king, like the parade on Palm Sunday wanted him to be, Jesus says that people would be fighting for Him not to be turned over to the Romans. I love this version's reply: "I'm not that kind of king, not the world's kind of king...I was born so that I could witness to the truth...Everyone who cares for truth,who has any feelings for the truth, recognizes my voice."

Dear Friend, do you care for truth? Do you recognize Jesus' voice? These are important questions as our churches will this coming Sunday celebrate Christ the King Sunday, but more importantly, in your life, as you continue to make decisions and seek direction for your life, you can't do better than to acknowledge the need in your life for truth, as only Jesus can provide it, and have no better voice from which to draw inspiration, than the voice of He, our King, the King of Kings.

PRAYER: King Jesus, hear my plea: I want to know truth, the liberating, set-me-free truth from my sin and my past, and I want to hear Your voice, the voice that will lead me on the path to the fullness of life, and one day, to life with You. I pray this in Your Name, Jesus my Lord, my King, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde