Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Do Not Be Afraid!

Image of Grandpa's tennis shoes along with firstborn granddaughter, Saraí Evangelina Cortez' tennis shoes

But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my sight, and honored, and I love you, I give people in return for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you; I will say to the north, "Give them up," and to the south, "Do not withhold; bring my sons from far away and my daughters from the end of the earth— everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." (Isaiah 43:1-7)

I own a pair of Converse All Star hightops, a reminder of the only tennis shoes that were available for me to use during my elementary school days. I owned several pairs and usually wore them completely out. I would also write on them, because as a child, we think that's what white space is for, isn't it? And that big white space at the front invites our name, our school name or mascot. This pair I've had for some years, and when we started being blessed by grandchildren, Nellie and I thought it would be a great idea to buy tiny Converse tennis shoes for our babies (And yes, we still owe Adi a pair! (Blushing smiley face here!)). Though they were not yet even walking it was a symbol of our saying, "We walk with you; no need to be afraid. And that's the message of Jesus' baptism and the message found in this Old Testament passage: Do not be afraid; I created you, I redeemed you, I called you by name, you are mine! I walk with you!

As the days of the New Year start to zoom by us, slow down enough to know that God wears your shoes and more importantly, God walks with you. God formed you, God redeemed you through Jesus Christ, God called your name at your baptism, You belong to God. AND, God walks with you!

It matters not what the days may bring, God is there and God is walking with you. Floods, fires, job crisis, retirement, illness... God is there, and God is walking with you.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for creating, redeeming, and calling me. But especially, thank You for walking with me! I love You! And I pray in faith, in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen!

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde